• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Who is going to Deep Sky Camp - Friday 4th April ?

Started by Mike, Mar 30, 2008, 13:25:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

Please vote so that I have an idea of numbers for the weekend and also for the food Saturday night. For the meal I am cooking a pan of Scouse (beef and lamb hotpot).
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Tony G

I'm going, even if it only Saturday evening for some Scouse. :D

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Mac

I'll be there for saturday, cant get the time off on friday, plus the wife's got the car.

No telescope this weekend , waiting for the old back to heal.

MarkS

Can't make DSC this weekend - Dee has organised a weekend in Paris. 
I'm definite for the next one though!

Mike

Mark, like John's missus, you need to have a serious chat with her.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mike

Mike

The weather forecast for Saturday night isn't looking too bad at the moment.

Fay

Mike, I am continously pondering, but I am more on the side that I won't go as the weather is very iffy.

I am a bit upset that I won't make the August one as well, as I am away.
See you at observing, tonight
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Tony G

Mike,

Its not looking that good on Metcheck for Saturday (enter postcode TN26), and you can always rely on Metcheck, (NOT) :roll: and I think you should make enough 'scouse' for at least 25, just incase an unexpected coach turns up. :D Still if the coach doesn't turn up, it won't go to waste. ;)

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Mike

Quote from: Fay on Apr 01, 2008, 08:07:18
Mike, I am continously pondering, but I am more on the side that I won't go as the weather is very iffy.

You big wuss.

Mike

Tony I use www.weather.co.uk as I have found it to be more reliable than Metcheck (mostly).

JohnP

QuoteMark, like John's missus, you need to have a serious chat with her.

Mike - I don't think you fully understand the complexities of the fine balance I have to keep between pursuing Astronomy & Home Life.... It's OK to say have a serious chat with the wife but when your house is in continuous need of decoration/ repair & you've got 4 kids & a wife screaming at you telling her I'm disappearing for the weekend on a social/ piss up (yes she knows I don't just do astronomy)  it doesn't go down to well... I'm sure Ian & others can appreciate what I am saying...  On top of all that as you know I have already booked a week away with Chris & others down the South of France in late summer so even more of a reason to tread carefully...... :-) You are in a fortunate position that Cris enjoys camping like you... I suppose I could always bring ALL 4 kids with me - I'm sure you wouldn't mind having a bunch of moaning kids around for the weekend - perhaps Chris & Ian & others could take theres as well - we could make it a real family affair....

Anyway, I'm hoping to make it down for either Fri or Sat night (not decided yet - depends on which night looks the most promising) - I may or may not be by myself....

Cheers,  John

Mike

I didn't realise my dead-pan face would come over so well on The Internet.

Carole

I'm definitely not coming Friday evening as I am looking after the grandchildren (special occasion).

I have a number of things to do this weekend and am only planning on coming for the evening/s if the skies are good for Astronomy.

So don't count me in the food figures Mike.
Thus I am in the "undecided" poll.

Carole

Tony G

Mike,

you need to make some 'scouse' for John's 4 as well, just incase, as well as the coachload. :D

Tony G

Mike

MarkS

www.meteoblue.com is generally pretty good.  It predicts some clear skies for DSC but bad seeing:  the jetstream is the main problem.

Ian

now I understand it, I like Meteoblue. But for me it's a moot point. I've checked again and my daughters birthday hasn't moved and all of her friends are coming to her party so I won't be able to make it as expected.

Disappointing numbers mind...

Fay

I have gone outside for the last couple of nights, Mark. At times clear but bad seeing. Lot of dew as well, last night.

Daniel

Hi All, Im hoping to come this weekend, will probably only be able to do one night but will be coming with my girlfriend (she got me into the astronomy in the first place) and my mate (who's got the transport) Is the field easy enough to find as we'll probably have to come after everyones intrenched and find the place ourselves. As far as food, me and Laura are veggies, so no worries there, we'll see what we can make on our stove (didn't actually get to use it at glastonbury, so quite excited by this).

Anyway, hope you all brace yourselves for lots of questions, mainly on polar alignment and auto tracking.

Hopefully see you all this weekend

Daniel
:O)

Mike

Daniel,

The field is easy to find if you follow the directions on the OAS website. Once you get there, if it is dark, you might find it difficult to locate the gate. You don't want the gate down the side of the main house, but the one in the hedge near the corner of the road. If you do arrive after dark and it is a clear sky then please come in on foot to speak to use before bringing your vehicle in as we may be out imaging and your headlights would ruin the images. If it is during daylight then it is fine.

We look forward to seeing you whatever time you arrive and will be more than happy to answer your questions. We already have a few veggies in the society so you won't be alone. However, the ability to drink copious quantities of alcohol is a requirement.

Mike

Guys, if you have't already, please register your vote at the top. You are able to change your vote afterwards if your situation changes.

Daniel

I've put myself down as an undecided, just because It all relies on my mate being able to take us over there, aside from being a veggie, me and laura don't drink either (killjoy eh?) but fortunately my mate can drink enough for both of us and is quite the party animal, so He'll be representing us in the drinking stakes!

Is there a post code to the site as we'd be able to use GPS to get there?

Tony G

TN26 3EH

This is the Pig Pens between the house and the field where they store the fire extinguishers. this is the nearest postcode.

Tony G

Fay

Has anyone thought that it may be a good idea to change the April DSC to May  for a better chance of good weather?

Mac

if you want lat and long for the camp site its..
51 8' 46" N
0 43' 40" E

Mike

Quote from: Fay on Apr 02, 2008, 15:43:34
Has anyone thought that it may be a good idea to change the April DSC to May  for a better chance of good weather?

You do realise this is England we are talking about?

Carole

Fay,

In years gone by that would have been a good idea, but seasons are all topsy turvey these days.  I seem to recall last year we had a heatwave in March and then rubbish weather until about August.....(or was that the year before), anyway, can't rely on the weather like we used to - anywhere on the planet it seems - we just had 42 degrees in Egypt first week of March (normally 24 degrees), while parts of the caribbean are having thunder storms and rain in the dry season.

Carole

Ian

that'll be them pesky aliens again Carole  :cheesy:

doug

Rose and I are going to try to get down there, even if it`s only to sample your `Scouse` which sounds good.  I have to try to remember where Tuesnoad is on the map? if I can find it on the map. So hope to see you all there.  ;)
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Mike

OK, register yoru vote then. Hope to see you there.

Mike

What time are you all getting down there? I'm going on Friday and hope to be down there by around 1pm.

JohnP

Yep - I'll aim for mid to late afternoon on Friday - depends If Luke wants to come.... John

Mike

Wakey Wakey campers !! Rise and shine !!!    :D

JohnP

Packing car already - found out Luke finishes early 2day so hopefully there about 3'ish... I can only stay one night though...

cya later - John

Mike

Just having some lunch, finishing off the packing, then in about an hour I should be out of here. See you down there.

Mike

I have to say that I am very dissapointed in the two individuals who put down a definite YES on here to going to Deep Sky Camp, but who never turned up (I can see you have since changed your votes!). As a result the Society is now £45 in the RED for the weekend and will have to fork out that £45 to pay for the field. Also, food that didn't need to be cooked for those two persons was wasted.

It was the worst attended DSC on Record.

Daniel

Well, I still owe you £15 for the 3 of us who came along, sorry I didn't get to pay you the following morning, but we were a little worse for wear because of our camping gear and had to head home early, I'll be able to bring it along at the next meeting which I'll attend and hopefully join up properly!

Loved the skies though, have seriously been looking into house prices around headcorn since I got back, we've been looking for a place that fits all our criteria for moving and it may tick all the boxes, ie, dark skies, hour from london by train.

Rick

The last couple of DSCs have had rather unfortunate weather, but perhaps it's a good time to give some consideration to how we book DSCs and how much we charge for them. However, please let's take that discussion into Behind the Scenes.

Edit: Discussions continue in this "Behind the Scenes" thread.
(If you're an OAS member and you can't see that continuation, drop me a PM.)

Mike

Quote from: Daniel on Apr 06, 2008, 14:56:10Well, I still owe you £15 for the 3 of us who came along, sorry I didn't get to pay you the following morning, but we were a little worse for wear because of our camping gear and had to head home early, I'll be able to bring it along at the next meeting which I'll attend and hopefully join up properly!

Still waiting Dan !

Daniel

Hi Mike, just to say the cash went in the post about 10 mins ago, once again, Im very sorry how long it took, I meant to get it to you quicker but life stuff kept distracting me. Anyway distractions are over now and I can get back to what's important, having some fun!!!

Hope to see you at the next DSC, shall pay up before I even get through the gate this time!

Thanks

Daniel
:O)