• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Special events updates

Started by Rick, Jun 24, 2003, 18:36:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick

There's some more about Greg's Time Team Big Dig project on the website, aong with an experimental events report archive and satellite predictions.

Ian

cool.

I notice there is a link now to the forum to check for announcments. I'm not sure how long it's been there, but it's a great idea. However, would it be useful for it to link directly to the alerts and announcements section?

Rick

I was making a few things consistent between the observing, meetings and special events pages, and figured the forum could do with a little more emphasis, so it got added last night. That way, if we put programme changes and last-minute pleas into the forum then maybe a few more folks will notice them....

Oink! Flap! Oink! ;>

I considered linking directto the alerts and announcements section, but then I realised that sometimes last-minute things go into other sections....

[ This Message was edited by: Rick on 2003-06-24 12:04 ]

Ian

Rick,

I might be being dense here, but where is the satellite predictions link?

Rick

At the moment the predictions link is very subtly hidden in the side-bar on the observing meetings page. At some point I'll also add it to the general stuff on the night sky page.

I also need to update the Society Instruments list a bit.... :wink:

Ian

very subtle, and darn near invisible :smile:

By the way, I presume the output is generated on your linux box. This means it's missing CR/LF windows notepad likes. Wordpad can cope but notepad (the windows default) can't so it's not particularly readable.

Ian

just an addendum, just tried IE (I usually use opera) and IE copes fine. Opera insists on downloading it, rather than displaying it. Perhaps this is less of a problem than I thought.....sorry.

Rick

Hmmm... I'll give the CR/LF issue some thought. I assumed that, as it's type is text, the server and client should sort that out between themselves....

Must ask someone with a Mac what happens....

:wink:

Rick

The predictions should have DOS-mode cr/lf line endings tomorrow.

Also, the history page will be hooked in with the special events report archive to present what I hope is a more coherent story....

Still to do:

1) The promised extended gallery and templates

2) Track down more complete satellite elements and try to filter the selection so that the predictions include as many as possible of the ones that are likely to be visible while excluding the rest....

3) Anything else?

Ian

ah, now your asking :wink:

since the demise of the BBC Astronomy Weather forecast, does anyone know of a replacement?

I'll be looking too....

Rick

I fixed the events report archive links on the special events page, and I've found an alternative list of elements for naked-eye visible satellites, so I hope the predictions   will be a bit more useful.

A question: How many lines are taken up by the "check forum for announcements" text on the meetings, observing and special events pages?

Ian

takes 2 on opera. looks neat and tidy though.