• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Orange lights in the sky over Orpington

Started by Brian, Mar 26, 2008, 16:16:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

It's a bit weird that only a few days after this conversation there is a plane crash in what sounds like exactly the same area that Brian descibed. 

Premonition? 
UFOs interfering with aircraft? 
Or just a bizarre co-incidence?

Carole

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Ian

as we seem to be pre-wired to spot patterns in stuff, whether they are there are not, I suppose you could pose the question.

But, as we flatter ourselves here that we are scientists of sorts, what happens to a theory when you apply some scientific rigour?

mickw

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Ian

just in case anyone's wondering, Mick's not applying Occam's Razor. That was a well hefted Welham's Sledge Hammer...

Carole

QuotePremonition? 
UFOs interfering with aircraft? 

That wasn't supposed to be a serious statement Mike, but just a tongue in cheek comment about what a weird co-incidence it was.

Carole

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

mickw

Aah, Occam's Razor, I knew there was a fancy name for what I was trying to say  ;)
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mike

There are far too many long words in this thread.

JohnP

Agreed - I think Ian's been reading or eating too many books....! starting to get very profound with his responses...

Ian

Brian

Well, I am somewhat relieved that others have seen strange orange lights in the night sky recently. As has been reported this last weekend, there has been a sighting over Basingstoke witnessed by a number of people and the spectacle seemed to have lasted for upto half and hour. That puts an end to the idiotic suggestions they they are possibly "chinese laterns", space debris burning up, blimps or aircraft, unless these are of course all able to re-arrange themselves speedily into different formations and then disappear instantly........
I don't think so !!
I would ask your contributors to give some credibility to those of us who are not "round the bend", attention seekers or alien hunters and although they may not have been fortunate enough to have personally seen anything odd whilst they have been studying the heavens at night, I would ask them to be a little more open minded about the subject and not to be so hastily dismissive of others like myself who have made these observations.

Ian

To be honest Brian, I think the discussions were pretty open minded, but everyone here is welcome to their opinion, one way or another.

As you can see from Rick's posting, a member made a similar observation and another member gave a plausible explanation. While we're awaiting further sightings to test that theory, that one'll do for me. Anyone else can make their own mind up.

On a personal note, I'd prefer it if you did not refer to other plausible theories as idiotic, regardless of how much you disagree with them.

Brian

I would like to thank those in OAS that have taken the time to read and constructively reply to my enquiries regarding the sightings I had of orange lights in the sky a number of weeks ago particularly as they have re-appeared in many locations recently.
It would seem that, in certain opinions, it is not in order to refer to the suggestion of any highly unlikey event as "idiotic", although I recall one long standing contributor referring to some criticisms as "moronic", which appears to be more acceptable. If this has touched a nerve with certain contributors, then I do apologise.
"Buurrrrrrrrppppppppp"
Thanks again to those providers of contructive comment !!!