• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Orange lights in the sky over Orpington

Started by Brian, Mar 26, 2008, 16:16:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Hi, I have joined the OAS forum as I have just come across it on the internet.
I am trying to find anyone else who can confirm my sighting of a number of orange glowing lights over the Orpington area on Sunday 23rd March, 2008 at about 20.10.
I work in the Orpington area and was driving my car near Farnborough village past Frankie & Bennys when I noticed a number of dull glowing orange lights to my right-hand side. I immediately asked my passengers to verify what I was seeing so as to confirm my sighting.
Two other passengers in my vehicle saw the same lights and although it took about 2 minutes to stop the car to drop off my passengers in Farnborough Village, when I then checked the sky, nothing was to be seen.
The lights, about 7 or 8 in number were in some sort of a line, although not straight, and because of their diminishing size appeared to be lined up into the distance. I have read many other articles about similar sightings, although some dating back to last year, and I cannot believe that this is space junk burning up or any other such explanation. I have even heard of people claiming that they are  "chinese lanterns" with candles. What, in the winds we've had lately ?????  And they all go out at the same time ?????
I have held a private pilots licence for a number of years and am naturally quite familiar with the look of other aircraft by day and night and these were definitely not aircraft !!! 
I am more than familiar with the fact that aircraft approach Biggin Hill Airport by day and night, but they don't line up on a Sunday night in great numbers with just one dull glowing light each !!
I consider myself to be very level headed and cannot explain what I saw.
Does anyone else have any ideas please !!!!!!

Ian

well you've covered most of the usual explanations, although your description does sound alot like aircraft queuing up at an airport like Heathrow. I'm sure Bromley Council would be well impressed with Biggin if it was that busy.

Was it cloudy that night?

Carole

Aren't we expecting some fall out from the American satellite that was blown up?  It might make sense if they entered and burnt up in the astmosphere and went out at the same time.  It's difficult to visualise what you saw and how far away this might have been.

Having said all that I saw something I could not explain myself some 35 years ago which involved orange glowing lights descending, and I have never had an explanation, so I am always open minded about these things. 

Carole

Brian

Hi Ian, nice to have someone to accept that what I saw may have actually happened !!
As I said, I have witnesses to verify what I saw as being correct. It was a very clear night with very high cloud that could be seen by the clear moonlight. If, as someone suggests, it may have been burning up space debris, then there must be a regular amount of debris that burns up in exactly the same way, with the same type of glow in the same type of formations. and stays in the same place for a number of minutes......I don't think so !!!!
These people should check other reports over the past few months, as I have, and I didn't realise just how many people have seen exactly the same thing as myself in many differnet locations, not only in the UK but elsewhere in the world, to appreciate that there is a pattern to this type of sighting and I have a very open mind on this type of thing. I wasn't aware of this type of sighting until I saw it myself.
Anybody else have any views ?

JohnP

Hi Brian - first welcome to the forum.

I have no idea or explanation for your sighting. What size were the lights? Were they star like or much larger...? Shame you couldn't watch them from first sighting until disappearance it may have helped explain what they were..?

John

Ian

Brian,

you're talking with a bunch of people who see lights in the sky all the time (well, 'cept when it's cloudy  :evil: ). I have no doubt you saw something, and there are times when I've seen things I couldn't readily identify either. But, the likelihood is that it was mundane although none the less interesting.

Trouble is, without seeing it myself, I can't really think what it might have been...

Brian

Hi John, yes it was a pity I wasn't able to stop the car where I was, but if you're familar with that road, it's a very busy single carriageway road and nowhere to pull over most of the time. The lights were not star shaped but more rounded and were a lot bigger than any conventional aircraft light, but I have completely dismissed it as any type of aircraft. What struck me more than anything was that the lights weren't really bright, they were more of a dull glow. Thank heavens someone else with me also saw them.

Hi, Ian, got your reply. Maybe I'm a bit old fashioned, but I just cannot accept something that I've seen with my own eyes that doesn't have a know explanation and then just get on with life and forget about it. It dwells on your mind all the time, trying to make some logic out of it. However, in times to come, when something becomes apparent that may be connected with these events, at least I can say "I told you so", until then I suppose it's back to the daily routine and I'll try to forget it.

Ian

Oh, I know that feeling only too well, it would bug me as well. I'd be keeping an eye out to see if you get a repeat performance.

Just out of interest, were you looking towards Biggin or away when you saw the lights?

Brian

Sorry Ian, had an early night (still thinking about it) so didn't get your reply.
I was travelling in my vehicle on the A21 from Green St Green direction going towards Chapter One and the lights were on my right, just as I passed Frankie & Bennys (hence I couln't pull over until I'd turned in Farnborough Village), so away from Biggin.
Somebody will now point out that that is the approach for the main runway at Biggin from this direction, which having flown it many times I already know, but these most definitley WEREN'T aircraft.
The first light was amost above me to the right and the remainder were strung out at different distances further to the right, I've looked at the map and they must have been over the Crofton, Petts Wood, Chislehurst and Eltham areas.
However, I sincerely hope I get another chance to see them again, as looking at other sources of reports on the internet, they seem to be fairly frequent. What struck me most about some other reports was that a couple of photos and other sighting descriptions were exactly as I saw them, so they ARE there, it's just a case of WHAT'S there !!!  Thanks for your interest and I'll be keeping a close eye out for that repeat performance !!

Mike

Brian can you post up some links to the 'other reports' you mention please.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

mickw

OK, nothing to do with the original post, but found this rather funny, the guy seems convinced a lampost is a UFO.

http://forums.fark.com/cgi/fark/comments.pl?IDLink=2618004
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Brian

Hi Mike, on Monday, the day after my sighting, I looked on the internet for anything that could explain what I saw. So on Yahoo search I just typed "orange lights over Orpington" and there is a News Shopper page there and to my surprise there were other reports going back a few months into 2007, showing exactly what I seemed to have seen and other descriptions of sightings that were basically the same as what I saw. There was even one there from someone in Chelsfield.
Being 60 years old, I have seen a lot of things in my time and I am certainly not an attention seeker or anything in that direction, but being older, I realise that there is an expalnation for more things but this one takes some beating.
Please check the above search topic in Yahoo and you'll see something similar to my experience. Please let me know what you think of what you see.

Carole

Are these Pictures in this newspaper cutting like the light's you saw?  If so they seem to have a tail to them.

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/topstories/display.var.1695262.0.are_orange_lights_a_ufo_sighting.php

Carole

Carole

Hi Brian,

I have read through that article and see you have "posted" on the comments below it.  Have you read through some of the moronic replies previous postings have had?  Very frustrating when you want a serious answer.

I have a feeling none of us will be able to give you an answer as I think could be just as mystified as you, especially having seen the photos but at least you'll get civilised and intelligent answers from us.  Probably is a UFO -  as I told you I have seen strange lights as well although a long time ago.

We have a meeting tonight if you are interested in getting any further into the wonders of Astronomy and meeting us all.  See the Home Page.

Carole

Mike

Quote from: Carolepope on Mar 27, 2008, 13:55:46....Probably is a UFO ....

Obviously, we don't know what it is !!

If you mean a 'flying saucer' then obviously that is not going to be the case. I am sure there is a normal explanation to what was seen. My whole family and I once witnessed ball lightning travelling behind and then alongside our car when I was about 10 years old and that was pretty weird I can assure you. However, it was due to natural and not alien causes.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan