• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Garden Observatory

Started by Fay, Mar 22, 2008, 14:05:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

Ha Ha, that sounds the same as me but the other way around!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Rocket Pooch

Hi Fellow Geeks,

I researched the issue of damp and condensation a lot before I built the bee hive; however, due to my inability to make anything fit, it is well vented and I never get any damp or condensation on the roof.

But I did isolate the pier from the surrounds and therefore its dry.

Chris

Fay

Chris, you are funny!

Can I assume  it is  called "The Beehive Observatory"?

Tony G

:o

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=17326

:o WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Rick

...and just after his scope featured in Astronomy Now, too. I presume he's moving to a place with darker skies and buying a new and bigger dome... ;)

Carole

What about The Society buying this for High Elms?

Carole

Rick

'Ang on a minute... I'll get me barge-pole.  :twisted:

Mike

Quote from: Carolepope on Mar 27, 2008, 14:06:25What about The Society buying this for High Elms?

For what? We will never be allowed to put a dome there. Personally I think due to the bad horizon plus terrible light pollution a permanent observatory at High Elms would be a waste of time and money. Let's face it, we can set up a field observatory in 15 mins.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

Looks like it has a concrete lower half.

Carole

Jim said it was his ambition to have a permanent observatory at High Elms, so I assumed this was something that has been discussed at committee meeting.

Carole

Ian

I suspect that's a personal ambition rather than one for the society. Long before my time there was an attempt to build an observatory that failed and there is little appetite to try again.

Realistically, if we wanted an observatory we'd be better off taking on the running of an existing one, but they're a bit thin on the ground.

Tony G

What about Jodrell Bank, with a few adaptions and a lick of paint, who knows!!!!!!

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Ian

well it's had the lick of paint. We could point it straight up, then have marble races to see who can be at the bottom last :) Could take days that.

Carole

I have managed to persuade my husband to let me take down a tall pine tree that was a big obstruction along the ecliptic path and am now looking at the gap it has left and wondering whether I could put an observatory there.  It would have the end of an existing shed adjacent and any sliding roof could run along that, although I would need to raise the floor or the shed itself would become an obstruction. I have done a fair bit of DIY over the years and am not incapable of a bit of carpentry, but I think this might have to wait until next year after I have retired and have more time for construction.  But meanwhile I will put my thinking cap on as regards planning, do some measuring up and may pick a few brains.

I have also seen an outdoor shed used as an office which was lined with bubble wrap, I am wondering whether this might cause condensation, or whether this would be OK so long at there was sufficient ventillation.

What do you guys think?

Carole