• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Shed advice needed...

Started by RobertM, Feb 24, 2008, 22:04:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Pooch

Quote from: RobertM on Mar 25, 2008, 13:03:40
let me know if you see an 8" pier going cheap cheap.

Whats that some kinda bird?

Hey on a serious note, you really should invest in a good pier, there's nothing like having a large one to impress people.....

Tony G

Robert,

If you are going to concrete the inside of the tube, it can be either metal ducting (not as thick as 1/4" or 1/8") or plastic and the plate can be set in the top with rawlbolts after the concrete has set, it would also be a lot lighter to move into position.
So Robert, I may not be able to get the 1/4" thick metal tube, but maybe the ducting or plastic if you are interested, but still need to know the length.

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

RobertM

Thanks for the advice guys.  I'm in two minds at the moment so I'll see if something crops up in the next month or so then take stock. 

Ian

not wishing to put you off, the last time I saw pipework that was 8" dia and a wall thickness of 1/4", I was on an oil rig.

You'd want to see their crimping machines for that pipe...

JohnP

Robert,

I have four lengths of 8-inch diameter steel bollard available. They are approx 4.5ft in length & 1/4inch thick. I managed to win a bid on ebay & had to hand collect them from Cambridge. They are pretty chunky & weigh in the range of 25-30kg each. I will keep one myself & Mac has reserved one which means that there are two left. If you are interested I can let you have one for £20 (covers ebay price & petrol etc to go & collect). They are just the tube though - you will need to weld plates etc. top & bottom yourself. You'll also need to have access to some cutting machine (unless you would plan on sinking in the ground). Anyway let me know if you want one.

John

PS - Ian apparently these didn't come of an oil rig they were surplus stock from some bus depot where they were erecting steel bollards....

RobertM

Hi John,

That could be ideal.  Any chance you can measure the internal diameter as I have a pier adaptor that's 7.75" and would need to slot in.

Many thanks
Robert

Ian

Good call John. I forgot we spoke bollards at Astrofest. I didn't ask if they had problems with ram raiders on the rig...

If there is a fourth one, I could use one of those too please.

By the way, if anyone wants to have a go, I have a stick welder in the garage.

RobertM

By stick do you mean Arc or MIG ?  I did Arc welding a long time ago but would need a bit of practice first.

JohnP

Ian - Consider the fourth one yours...

Robert - I've just measured & they are only about 7 1/8 to 7 1/4 ID... They are actually nearly 5ft long & 1/4 inch thick... Let me know if you want one.

John

Ian

Thanks John.

Arc welding Robert. It's not big (about 140A) but should just about do the job.

Mac

John I'll bring the money tomorrow.
Havent been able to do much as i've put my back out.

Just have to find my way to high elms.

JohnP

OK - I'll put three in the car tomorrow 1XMac, 1XIan & 1XRobert (if he wants it - if not open to anyone else or I will take home). They have been out in the garden a while so are wet & a bit grubby (rusty) so make sure you have a dust/ dirt sheet in your car...

Cheers,  John

Ian

I'll make sure I've got the cash too. Hope you don't get stopped by the police thinking they've caught a mortar bomber ;)

RobertM

Hi John,

This is to good an opportunity to miss so I'll take one.  If no one objects and you have time I'd be grateful if you could put put an 'R' on the one with the largest internal diameter at either end - they're probably all the same but it may just save me a lot of work.

Many thanks

JohnP

OK - no probs - I'll measure them up today... John