• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Shed advice needed...

Started by RobertM, Feb 24, 2008, 22:04:41

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

I'm looking at buying a shed to convert and use as an obs.  Having looked at a few at Ruxley and Pollhill it looks like a Pent is the best style, something about 8' x 6' - anyone have any advice ?  Also where to get them cheap.

Robert

Tony G

Hi Robert,

Other than picking the 2 most expensive places to purchase a shed, if you travel a little further on from Ruxley along the A20 to Flamigo Park, there is a company called 'The Shed Company' (I think, I'll try and find the website and post it on here) which has a load of sheds already constructed, and know doubt you may be able to haggle with these, more so than Ruxley or Polhill.
Here a map showing the location, where you can look at the sheds erected.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=10043823620093446507,51.430567,0.080401&saddr=51.430655,0.080466&daddr=&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=0&sz=17&sll=51.430387,0.079908&sspn=0.003311,0.009892&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=17

(If you zoom in enough you could pick a shed without leaving the house :D)

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Mike

Quote from: Tony G on Feb 25, 2008, 09:26:38.....Other than picking the 2 most expensive places to purchase a shed

Crikey yeah!! Don't look in garden centres for sheds, they will rip you off.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

RobertM

Thanks, I'll try them next weekend and if you could manage to dig up that url Tony then that would be bonus.

Tony G

Robert,

They have all the prices on the site as well, but if you see what you want and then go and see them, and haggle.

http://www.theshedfactory.co.uk/index.htm ;)

Good luck.

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

RobertM

Thanks Tony,  they have a much better range of sizes and more importantly better prices - if I can haggle then all the better :-)  They also do bases so if at a reasonable price then maybe I could get them to fill a largish hole with concrete ready for a pier at the same time.

Cheers
Robert

Ian

I believe that was the outlet I got my previous shed from. Did a fine job, and the shed was well constructed. Let me know how much they charge to lay a base...

Tony G

Hi All,

Just drove past Flamingo Park and the Shed compound is open Monday and Fridays 9.00am to 4.00pm, Saturday 9.00am to 4.oopm and Sunday 10.00am to 4.00pm.

Tony G

RobertM

Many thanks for the information Tony, I'll probably pay them a visit this Saturday.

Robert

RobertM

It has to be wood as it's in a prominent position and the wife want's it to look nice.

Ian

Robert, how's your shed getting along?

RobertM

Hi Ian,

I've been waiting for the tree people to get the stump out - seems it's the time of year when all the stump grinders break down !   That finally happened last Thursday so now I can get a move on...

Shed design is going to be based on this http://www.dosborne-astroimages.co.uk/equip.htm#observatorythough a bit bigger (8 x 7) with a fold down flap on the south side as per the link.  Have found a source for the tanilised wood at a good price so I just need to finish drawing up plans then wait for some decent weather so I can get digging and lay the concrete.  I would really like a permanent pier but have to do everything on a tight budget due to earlier excesses - let me know if you see an 8" pier going cheap cheap.

I was following Fays thread and size wise after all things considered I reckon 8x7 is the smallest practical size also with wood there shouldn't be the same problem with condensation that you may get on metal (if that is a worry).

Will post pics as and when things start to happen.

Thanks
Robert

Tony G

Robert,

If you need a 8" tube of some kind, like the piece of ducting on Fay's thread, let me know what size you want and length and I'll see what I can do.

Tony G

RobertM

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the offer, I'm looking for some 8" tube 1/8" - 1/4" thick with some plates welded to it - at least that's are my initial thought.