• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Tuesnoad - access to mains?

Started by Fay, Feb 15, 2008, 15:36:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

I think Ian & Mike were discussing the possibility of mains access at Tuesnoad. Did anything come of it?
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Ian

I think we left it with Jeff. We suggested a long extension lead, and one of those little power meters that maplins sell for a tenner so we can pay for it...

MarkS

And an RCD.

You really MUST have an RCD when playing with mains electrics in the dew and damp.

Ian

oh you're no fun...

I can see that tripping in the middle of the night, and we can't get to it to reset it.

Carole

Does that mean we have to start a new thread entitled
"Leisure batteries for sale"?

Ian

possibly, or alternatively working out methods of resetting an rcd through a letter box.

Do we have any keyhole surgeons in the society?

Fay

What is a RCD?  I am getting worried thinking about when I'm in the garden with the extension cables etc etc & it is running with dew!!

Ian

it's as safety device that cuts the power if necessary, rather than fry you...

mickw

Shortish extension lead frommthe office to the bog.
RCD then extension lead out to the Somme.
Job Done  :)
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Ian

good call. I was wondering if we'd get away with having one on our end, but that'd really only do half a job.
Fay, do you plug into a socket in your shed/garage? Any electrician worth his salt (and following regs too I believe) should have fitted one already. Have you get a small box on the wall with circuit breakers in it, in you garage/shed?

If not, I'd go buy one from homebase tomorrow. 10% day, you know...

Fay

No, but I have been told that is anything happened it should trip the fuse box under the stairs.

I have been thinking of some sort of small box, in the garden. To lay the multi plug socket in, with attached plugs, to protect them from the damp, during the evening.
I have to use 2 extension leads which I plug together, which I always place in a bag on the grass.

Fay

Thanks John, will order one.  Does it go into the mains with the extension cable plugged in?

JohnP

The idea of mains connection down in that field scare me...! Imagine all those imagers with extensions cables running to their scopes etc... sounds like a nightmare... what's wrong with using batteries...!!!!

Ian

that wouldn't be a problem. I've got a 500W floodlight we plug in if we've got mains power...