• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Vignetting or Worse

Started by mickw, Feb 10, 2008, 09:39:57

Previous topic - Next topic

mickw

After the fiasco with the ISS last night, I had another look at my practice shots taken during the day and also a couple of night shots (without lens cap).
Sony DSLR - 2x Barlow - Lidlscope f10 700mm fl
http://www.cig.canon-europe.com/ph/AIG/JmwnfKSnKrCq0cac1o03ks3kskXL0003kskXLzCrJ0sCi.jpg
Is this classed as vignetting or is it something iffy with the optics, poor choice perhaps ?
The night shots still have similar sharp contrast between the bright centre and the rest of the image.
My previous experiences with vignetting are a gradual shift from the centre to the edge.
Thanks
Mick
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

JohnP

Mick,

Definitely looks like some kind of vignetting - If I was you try it without the X2 barlow & see what you get - I know when I tried my DSLR with 1 1/4 inch connections I had vignetting issues though not quite as extreme as you - so everything is 2-inch now when I use the DSLR. There may be something going on with the optics though...

Cheers,  John

mickw

Thanks John,
Could be right about the barlow, it's OK visually without it, unfortunately it's a combo barlow/T ring adapter.
I'll try the barlow on the ETX tonight to see if there is a problem with it.
I can hook up the SLR to the ETX without the barlow at prime, but being a clumsy sod I will probably break something if I try for ISS  :(

Mick

mickw

Thanks again John,
Barlow OK for visual on the ETX also but a waste of time with the SLR.
Makes sense really, SLR not really happy trying to see through a skinny pipe.
Bad mix of equipment   :oops:

Mick