• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

My first OK-ish Saturn image

Started by Daniel, Jan 30, 2008, 20:38:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel

Ok, this is the first image of saturn i've been able to take which wasn't just a saturn shaped cutout, im learning to be ok with underexposure and let the stacking software do it's magic to bring out the detail.

there's a bit of banding on the actual planet iteslf in this one, but still no sign of the cassini division, i guess this is partly because of the fact the rings are quite edge on now.

Anyway, i took this with my Celestron Neximage camera 1000F stacked in regiStax 4

:O)

MarkS

Were you able to see the Cassini division through the eyepiece?  How was the seeing?  If you can't see it visually there is less chance of successfully imaging it.

JohnP

I would say seeing Cassinni visually would be tough now given the angle of the rings.... John

Daniel

Admitedly, I couldn't see the Cassini division through the eyepiece either, although, I've just stacked another image, this was taken through prime focus, the 40D seems to have picked up a lot more detail even though the subject was much smaller in the frame. I might be seeing things, but on this one i can swear i can see a faint bit of banding wroughly where the Cassini division should be!

Seeing wasn't great on either of the days i took these, a lot of moisture in the air too!

Carole

You said you would be well please if you had an image that looked like my little Saturn, you must be ecstatic with this one.

Carole

Mike

That's very good Carole. Some detail there. Just need to practice getting pin sharp focus and then get LOTS of pics using the webcam to stack them.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Daniel

Definetly happier with this image, I ended up using 7 out of 11 images I had and stacking them in K3CCDtools, the focus was about as good as it'd let me get it (viewing 10X through live view on my camera) but im hoping on a day with better seeing I'll be able to get it into focus a little better!