• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Playing with my new DSLR..

Started by Tom C, Jan 27, 2008, 21:32:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom C

Ok so despite not having a telescope yet I thought I might as well have a quick play with my new 400D and see what I could get. Answer: Not alot lol.

I decided to try Pleiades. I wanted to do some 30sec exposures but the camera was playing up ("Error 99"? according to google its to do with the connection between lens/camera - i think the old telephoto lens that belongs to my step dad that i was using is a little dodgy!) so I had to settle for 5sec as that was the longest it would allow me to do. I took about 30 of them, and tried to stack them with DSS, not really having a clue what I was doing...

This is pre-stacking/production:

This is post-stacking/production:

...and this is my super-duper-high-tech-mount so you can all have a laugh at my expense :lol: :D...

...consisting of two of the worlds ricketiest tables, stacked on top of each other for that extra wobble :D

Anyway, although the results are pretty poor, it at least allowed me to have a little play with the camera in astrophotography conditions (cold/dark)....and appreciate just how difficult its going to be heh. It also gave me a chance to have a play with DSS. So not a complete waste of time :)

Cheers,
Tom

MarkS

Tom,

It's a good start and certainly shows the benefits of stacking.  I love the stack of tables!!

Sometimes, all you need for astrophotography is a DSLR on a fixed tripod.  I took this image of the Milky Way last summer in France - admittedly the skies were dark.

I used a Canon EOS 300D (not as posh as yours!) with an 18-55mm zoom set at 18mm on a fixed tripod.  This is forty 30sec exposures stacked together:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/the_shelleys/Astronomy/milky070807.jpg

Mark

Tom C

Wow thats a really nice photo Mark, shows just what can be done with little equipment.

Thanks for the encouragement. I think my shot was really limited by the fact the exposures were only 5sec. With 30sec I reckon I could have got a lot more detail. I'll have to have a fiddle with the lens and see if I can stop it playing up on me.

MarkS

For a fixed tripod you have to balance exposure time against star trailing. 
For the 18mm lens, 30 sec seemed to be O.K. but at 50mm I could only go to 10sec to avoid visible trailing.

On the other hand, sometimes you might WANT star trailing:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/the_shelleys/Astronomy/spain060507.jpg

JohnP

Hey Tom - It's a start & at least you got to practise with some of the S/W etc. You can't expect much for 5secs.... I remember when I first got my EOS300D - It was Christmas about 4-5 yrs ago & I pointed it on a static tripod at Orion - I think exposure was longer than 5secs (maybe 30) but I was amazed to get Orion Neb etc. If I get a chance I'll search through my archives & email to you...

Cheers,  John

Mac

was you trying to use you canon / lens combination in auto or did you try setting everything manually.

Normally when you use the DSLR's with old manual or non computerised lenses, you have to se the camera to M (Manual) and then set the appeture on the lens

and then the speed on the camera.

Try taking the lens off and setting the speed on the camera to 30 sec or bulb, whilst its in M mode.

and see if it takes a photo.

I know with mine (Nikon D100), I can only use the camera in M when i use old lenses or attach it to the telescope.

Just checked the spec of your camera. If you set the camera on full Manual then you should be able to use your old lenses, although

you have to set apeture and shutter speed.

mickw

Tom,
Did you buy your camera before the end of December ?
Canon are offering £50 cashback on the 400D if bought before January, should be something in the box about it.
Mick
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

I like your Milky Way, Mark.

Tom you will get there, you have not even taken a normal picture with your camera yet!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Tom C

Quote from: mickw on Jan 28, 2008, 19:35:56
Tom,
Did you buy your camera before the end of December ?
Canon are offering £50 cashback on the 400D if bought before January, should be something in the box about it.
Mick

Unfourtunately I only got it on saturday, so I miss out on the rebate  :x. It was £409 in John Lewis (its £399 most other places) but I get a 12% discount 8) bringing to £359. (my stepsister has a weekend job at Waitrose, part of the same company).

Quote from: Fay on Jan 28, 2008, 19:56:47
I like your Milky Way, Mark.

Tom you will get there, you have not even taken a normal picture with your camera yet!

Heh.. :P I did actually take my camera up to London today and took some normal photos...street photography style, lots of fun.
(if anyones interested, my gallery http://carmanphotography.vze.com)

Fay

You have certainly started with a bang, Tom, you seem to have a talent for very artistic pictures.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

JohnP

Pretty cool pictures Tom - Like the use of colour & B&W - seems you already have a number of processing skills under your belt....

John.

MarkS

Very nice pictures Tom.  I hope your astro shots become just as good ...

Rocket Pooch

MarkS

I can't see them any more either ...

Tom C

Very strange....I can in Firefox, but not in Internet Explorer....

I'l have to take a look tonight

EDIT
Ok, now it has loaded in IE..

Hmmm dodgy hosting, I'll sort it out later today.