• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Horsehead & Flame Nebulae

Started by Fay, Jan 26, 2008, 14:30:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

Nice image Fay.

You can see from the raw that the focus was slightly off and that the wind was affecting your guiding, but an excellent image nonetheless.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

Thanks a lot, Mike. I did have to discard a couple of images, but not bad considering it was such bad conditions.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Tony G

Good going Fay,
A lovely image again, something I'd be well happy with ;).
Keep up the good imaging and wrap up warm.

Tony G

PS camera batteries reordered, first lot lost in post.
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Fay

Thanks Tony. No worries about batteries, they will arrive some day!

MarkS

Fay,

That single frame looks very good.  Were you imaging from somewhere dark?  Or using light pollution filter?  Or have you subtracted the light pollution from it?

Mark

Carole

A good example of the benefits of stacking.  Maybe could be used at a future "talk" on Astro-imaging.

Carole

Daniel

Fay, thanks for that, it is indeed a great example of stacking, no more lazy single exposures for me! was it the stacking that got rid of the grainyness, or was that some extra post processing?

Daniel
:O)

Fay

Yes I use a light pollution filter. Also I used an Ha filter.
The image becomes clearer when it's stretched & processed, I use Photoshop. Captured with AstroArt.

Going to try Mars tonight. Taking a chance the sky will be reasonable. If it is not, there is not so much equipment to put away, just using the webcam. 

JohnP

QuoteFay, thanks for that, it is indeed a great example of stacking, no more lazy single exposures for me! was it the stacking that got rid of the grainyness, or was that some extra post processing?

Daniel - When you stack you increase the signal to Noise ration (SNR) by the square root of the number of images you stack. So if for example you stack 100 frames SNR improves by a factor of 10.

John.