• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Small possibility of clear skies over london and kent tonight!

Started by Daniel, Jan 21, 2008, 18:24:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel

Im probably getting over excited, but believe it or not, the forecasts from the met office say we should have clear skies between around 12 and 6am tonight.

Anyway, here's hoping!

RobertM

Daniel

Hehe, quite likely! though I'll be happy just to try my focuser and nebula filter out for half an hour!

Mac

you were correct, it was clear skies,

you haven't per chance got the numbers for fridays, euro lottery? :lol:

Carole

I thought the clear skies were forecast at midnight, it is 8 minutes past and overcast, did I blink and miss it?

Carole

Daniel

Yep, this is me officially giving up on getting out tonight, strange thing is the satelite view looks pretty clear, so why can i only see clouds out my back garden!

MarkS

RobertM

Not surprised, after all it was only a forecast and 'a small possibility' looks closer to 'insignificant' than 'likely' ...

Mike

Got a spare webcam? Then use this - www.cloudwatch.net - It will give you alerts for when it is clear or cloudy. Works a treat. My camera is on there so you could use that if you are in the Orpington area.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

RobertM

Hey, that's really neat.  It even seems to take account of the high clouds we had this morning.

JohnP

Yep - it is neat Mike - shame you don't live in Bromley... :-( Looks like you have a bit of lens flare there but I guess shooting straight into the sun doesn't help....

John

Mike

John - it only works at night anyway. Has been very accurate so far. The guy is working on alerts to your mobile via SMS too.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Daniel

Damn, It was about 3:00 am when the skies cleared and i was too tired to set up by then, got some nice handheld shots of the moon though!

:O)