• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Scorpius from the field

Started by Whitters, Jun 10, 2003, 06:15:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitters

A five minuite guided shot from our field on the morning of the 7th May 2003
50mm lens f4 200ASA

Mike

Nice shot. I'm surprised that the light pollution isn't more pronounced with it being 5 minutes. Just goes to show you that the location we moved to is a far better one than were we usually go to !

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Ian

looks familiar mate :smile:

Nice pic.

Mike, what do you mean different place, was this not Tripes?

Rick

Sco. was more or less in the direction least afflicted by towns just over the horizon, but the image does in fact illustrate quite well how much light pollution there is, because you should be seeing a little bit of Milky Way there....

Remind me to show you the slide I have somewhere taken from Kenya... :wink:

[ This Message was edited by: Rick on 2003-06-10 10:37 ]

Mike

Ian,

Yes it was Tripes. However, on the night we stayed over we moved down to the bottom of the field to a part where the north was hidden behind a line of trees which meant we were shielded from the street lights. It was a noticably darker site.

We have sort of decided to use that spot in future. However, due to it being in a dip it means it will be muddy after a spell of rain and could also collect mist. Therefore, it will not be used all the time. But when it is dry and crisp it will be a good spot, especially for astro-photography. Well, as good as we're going to get around Orpington anyway !
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rick

Yeah, we did used to go further down the field, but there was a while when it was more than a little muddy, and the hollow didn't seem like a wise place to go. :wink:

Whitters

Quite agree Rick, this is how it looked from Teneriffe back in '86, another five minuite exposure

Whitters

Now that IS a dark sky.

Rick

Yep. That's the sort of imageI had in mind. Mine's not quite as good as the guide had errors.