• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Hello from Woolwich

Started by Daniel, Dec 30, 2007, 14:49:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel

Just a quick message to say "Hi" I've recently bought my girlfriend a Celestron C8 NGT telescope and were looking forward to going out star gazing (when it comes anyway) I've been looking at the photographs on this site and have been blown away by some of the images captuted, I was just surfing looking for examples of what I could Expect to get in such a light poluted area as the south east and came accross Mac's "M42 from Abbey Wood" which was a really clear image and way better than anything i expected this close to central london.

So now im even more excited, got my CCD camera, and light polution filter on order, reading up on collimation and taking crappy long exposure photo's of the stars off the roof of our Rabbit hutch while i wait for the scope.

Looking forward to having something to share with you guy's (for better or worse) soon!

Daniel
:O)

Mac

A very warm welcome from light polluted abbey wood,

May you have clear skies for the future.

Ps you definatly need a light polution filter round here.

There are loads of people here to help you in the art of astro photography,

should you need any help,

Have fun.

Mac.

Daniel

Hi Mac, Im sure I'll be asking a lot of questions over these next few months, how's the local light polution in your area? Here I have a block of flats to my NE and an annoying street lamp visible to my SW (which seems to be where most of the planetary viewing is going to be from) fortunately, the garden fence should block out a lot of that, but Im not too hopefull about seeing some of the lower items in the sky.

Daniel

Mac

The light polution here is as bad as woolwich, although i've no direct streetlights,

as they are all blocked by houses, its just something you have to get used to living in london. :roll:

mind if you do want to take decent photos, you'll have to get along to one of the deep sky camps,

Will you be going to the meetings?

JohnP

Hi Daniel,

Welcome to OAS & the forum. There are a good group of astroimagers on the forum - some just starting out & some who have been at it for a few years. Like Mac said you'll definitely need a light pollution filter of some description if you are planning on doing Deep Sky Imaging but you'll be amazed at the results you can get.... Start with something big & bright like the Orion Nebula.

All the best & looking forward to seeing your first images,  John.

Mike

Welcome Daniel. Light Pollution is a pain in the ass but it certainly doesn't stop you from being able to produce fantastic Deep Sky images. There are lots of guys in the society who live in areas that have atrocious Light Poluttion, but still produce great pictures. With the right filters you will be amazed at what you can get. Best of luck and Happy New Year.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Daniel

Thanks guy's, i'll definetly be up for heading to one of the meetings as soon as i have my bearings with the scope (still hasn't arrived, seems Telescope Planet has been on holiday since the 23rd) and i've ordered my Light polution filter, a Baader UHC-S Nebula Filter, is this any good?

Anyway's I'd best get back to work, been slacking terribly over christmas and now have to make up for lost time!

Have a great new year!

Daniel

Tony G

Welcome to the OAS Daniel,
and with the weather as it is, light polution maybe the only thing anyone might be imaging over the holiday period. ;)

Happy New Year.

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson