• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

"Show unread posts since last visit" not working

Started by Mike, Dec 14, 2007, 19:16:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

My "Show unread posts since last visit" button is not working.

When I press it I get that there are no new messages and yet when I check the forum I see lots of new messages that were posted since my last visit. This happened in work and again now I am at home.

Anyone else experiencing this?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

Only happened to me once, now it's OK.

Carole

Mike

THis is still happening to me. I can clearly see new posts posted today and yet the "Show unread posts since last visit" produces no results.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Ian

I've got no idea what's causing this, I'll have to do some research. I notice that sometimes the "new" icon is missing from new posts. Might be related.

mickw

Just curious, what browsers are being used ?
I am using IE7 and amongst other things, I have noticed no "new" buttons, occasional display not as "frames".
I have only just found the "unread" button, so can't comment.

Mick
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mike

I get the same thing on IE7, Firefox and Safari.

mickw

Shame............
That means we can't blame Bill G   :twisted:
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Ian

Quote from: mickw on Dec 25, 2007, 12:19:01
Shame............
That means we can't blame Bill G   :twisted:

why would that be then????

Mike

Still getting this also. Ian's posts on the "Uhoh" thread were not coming up when I pressed the button, but could be manually seen in the list.

Ian

Mike,

does the new post notification emails work for you?

Be aware, straws are being clutched at, at this point...

Mike

Never tried it as I didn't want to be spammed. Have just set it up (irritating as you have to do it 10 times, you can't do it for the entire forum that I can see). Will see how that goes. However, it's not what I want as I access the forum from work and home so emails will only go to one location. The "View unread posts" button always used to work fine until fairly recently.

Ian

I just want to try and establish whether it's something the bbs system isn't doing properly internally (email notifications don't go out properly) or whether it's a cookie problem (tracking what posts you read and what's new). Do you get the same behaviour at home and at work?

JohnP

Show unread posts buttons works OK for me..... John

Mike

Yes I get the same behaviour at work (IE6) and at home (Firefox and Safari)

Carole

I Looked at about half the "show new messages" today and it worked OK.
I've just gone back in to view the ones I did not have time to look at before and the whole lot has gone.
I DIDN'T accidentally click on "mark all messages as read" either.

So "you are not alone Mike".

Very annoying.

Carole