• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Cheap Guide Scope?

Started by Mike, Dec 13, 2007, 12:13:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

Lidl are doing a Bresser 70mm scope from the 17th for £49.99 :-

http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20071217.p.Refractor_Telescope_with_Tripod.ar1

Might make a good cheap guide scope maybe?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Ian

I think I'll pick one up and find out. The FL is a bit shorter that I was planning, but then again, those plans were not based on anything more than a guess. I would like to be able to guide with it imaging at 1200mm, it could be a bit short...

Ian

well I got one of them yesterday...

Obviously the clouds think it's not a bad scope, they've all turned up for a looksee. Don't think I'm going to be using the mount much, but I'll give it go, see how it looks with a decent eyepiece.

Rocket Pooch

can someone pick me one up, i'm in Canada at the moment and might not be able to get one before they are out of sock.

Chris

mickw

Chris,
Am going past 2 Lidl shops tomorrow so can pick one up for you - if they're not sold out.
Mick
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

doug

Last year I picked one of these Bresser 70mm `scopes for my brother-in-law and when we all went camping in the warm bit of the summer gave it a try out.  Not bad for a starter `scope, even on the mount that came with it.  At least you could see some stars through it; then we tried it with an eyepiece.  Not too bad.  But I don`t know if it would suit as a guide `scope.  Still, for that price......
Always look on the bright side of life ...

mickw

Chris,
Am assuming about 4:30pm your local time, shall I try for a scope or is someone else doing the deed ?

Mick

Mike

Did someone delete a post from this thread as I am sure I read someones reply that said it was too long a focal length? Or maybe that was after another drinking session after work again?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

Quote from: mickw on Dec 18, 2007, 21:32:31
Chris,
Am assuming about 4:30pm your local time, shall I try for a scope or is someone else doing the deed ?

Mick

Please try if you can.

Ian

if no-one has got Chris one of these yet, I can pick one up tomorrow... please post if you're on going to go.

By the way, they also had 10x50 bins for a tenner too.

JohnP

Ian - I got a pair of the 10X50's last time they were on offer & to be honest the optical quality was crap... Maybe I just got a bad pair but I've never used them....!

John

Mike

Yeah i've seen a few of those bins. The optics weren't fantastic, but the focuser was even worse. It was one of those naff ones that wiggles from side to side when you use them so the objects doesn't remain in focus.

mickw

Ian,
I am going out shopping now.
Will post again when I get back

Mick

mickw

I have got the scope.............

Got 2 actually - Why should you lot have all the toys  :)

Mick

Mike

I expect a full technical review report on my desk in the morning !  :twisted: