• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

First Light @ Tuesnoad

Started by Tony G, Dec 09, 2007, 22:47:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony G

Hi All,

Here are a few of the images taken (first light) at DSC, and rather do a separte topic for each I've put them all together.
They have all been taken with A canon 350D and WO66, and are unprocessed and are all single exposures.
The skies were excellent in the evenings, just a shame they couldn't stay like that during the day.
Anyway Friday, John showed me the ropes on how to put all the equipment and programs that I've had for ages together and produce the images below (Thanks again John) but I still managed to lose Andromeda on Friday (and Fay you only lost an eyelash), but found it again Saturday.
Well I hope you enjoy the images and any advice will be welcome.

2 min exposure of Comet 17P/Holmes,

2 min exposure of M45,

3 min exposure of M42 and

4 min exposure of M31.

The orientation may be wrong on some of the images, but that the way the cookie crumbles as thy say.

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Jim

Pictures are great Tony, well done. You'd never guess they were taken underwater!

MarkS

Those are looking good Tony - I bet you're pleased.  And thanks for the headlamp!

Fay

Tony, I am so pleased you found your images. They were really worth finding. You must be very very pleased with yourself &, like Mark, are now well on the way now you know the basics.

I hope you don't get this message twice, the site is so slow.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

JohnP

Tony - I never thought I'd see it.....

'First Light@Tuesnoad - TonyG'........ :-)

It was great seeing you get images on Friday & I'm really glad it's all coming together at last. The images are very good for unguided single exposures shot in jpeg mode... We will all be expected a lot more now. Not quite sure why DSLRFocus was acting so strangely but probably worth doing some dry runs before you next go out with it - You shouldn't have to keep rebooting like you did....? Luke enjoyed watching you 'perform' & at one stage we thought you were going for the whole messier catalog in a single night...

It was a great night & it made a nice change not to image myself - unbelievable skies as well.

Good one,  John.

Fay

Shame you didn't get The Lizard Nebula, Tony!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Rocket Pooch

well done tony, not bad for a 1st attempt!!!!!

:o

JohnP

Tony - you should post larger crops as the small images you have put up don't do the images justice. The M42 & M31 i saw on your laptop looked great. If you don't know how to do this just email me your originals & I'll do it for you...

John

Tony G

Thanks for the comments, and Mark the answer is yes, i'm well chuffed :D,
John, the M31 you see on Friday isn't the same one posted on here as I think the one on Friday was taken in focus mode as we couldn't find it that night or Saturday and Mac tried a retrieval program and there was nothing there, so I can only think it was in the wrong mode, so managed another Saturday, but got into a curfuffle with so many thing (mostly power supply), that I didn't do the many short exposures which I was going to attempt and also the big bloody Oak tree didn't help :x

Tony G

PS john I'll send those images over via email.
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

MarkS

Quote from: JohnP on Dec 10, 2007, 08:44:55
The images are very good for unguided single exposures shot in jpeg mode...

Are they really unguided?  For 4 minutes? Are you using Periodic Error Correction on your mount?

Mike

4 mins UNGUIDED !!! That would be extremely impressive.  :o
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Tony G

These are all unguided, give us a chance, :roll: i've only started this weekend to use a camera other than the TouCam II, let alone two cameras with loads of software which I wouldn't understand at the moment.
The mount (HEQ5) seems to respond very well and the people who know me know I wouldn't have a clue about the PEC or the insides of the mount, so what I have is the same untouched mount that i've had for nearly 3 years.  :-?

Tony G

PS if anyone wants to buy this very special guiding mount, offers in the region of £1500 ovno  :lol:

Mac

Excellent Images,

cant wait to see some more.