• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Clavius

Started by Ian, May 20, 2003, 16:16:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian

I took this the weekend before last, the seeing was a bit swimmy but the transparency was good. This pic is around 300 frames of a 1000 avi. 8" Europa at newtonian focus (apparently prime focus is the wrong term).

The are some interesting shadows across the floor of some of the adjoining craters clearly showing the relief of the crater rim.

It's not quite as good as Rays Clavius :smile:

Greg

Fantastic pic. I remember a few years ago I tried to see exactly how much detail I could see with the Questar by drawing all the tiny little craters on the floor of Clavius. I'll dig it out when I've got a moment.

Sue

Lovely image Ian. It was interesting to compare above with Ray's image with its slightly different illumination. Would they be about a day apart in the lunar cycle or less than that?

Ian

difficult to tell, mine is definitely a younger moon, the illumination is much closer to the horizon. It also appears to demonstrate a change in the libration too.

Mike

Lovely pic Ian. Nice and sharp with tons of detail. Excellent.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Whitters