Author Topic: My first OK-ish Saturn image  (Read 829 times)

Daniel

• Non-OAS
  • Star Class
My first OK-ish Saturn image
« on: Jan 30, 2008, 20:38:54 »
Ok, this is the first image of saturn i've been able to take which wasn't just a saturn shaped cutout, im learning to be ok with underexposure and let the stacking software do it's magic to bring out the detail.

there's a bit of banding on the actual planet iteslf in this one, but still no sign of the cassini division, i guess this is partly because of the fact the rings are quite edge on now.

Anyway, i took this with my Celestron Neximage camera 1000F stacked in regiStax 4

:O)

MarkS

• O. A. S.
  • Galaxy Cluster
Re: My first OK-ish Saturn image
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2008, 06:07:14 »

Were you able to see the Cassini division through the eyepiece?  How was the seeing?  If you can't see it visually there is less chance of successfully imaging it.

JohnP

« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2008, 07:29:07 »
I would say seeing Cassinni visually would be tough now given the angle of the rings.... John

Daniel

• Non-OAS
  • Star Class
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2008, 10:52:32 »
Admitedly, I couldn't see the Cassini division through the eyepiece either, although, I've just stacked another image, this was taken through prime focus, the 40D seems to have picked up a lot more detail even though the subject was much smaller in the frame. I might be seeing things, but on this one i can swear i can see a faint bit of banding wroughly where the Cassini division should be!

Seeing wasn't great on either of the days i took these, a lot of moisture in the air too!

Carole

• O. A. S.
  • Galaxy Cluster
    • Carole's images
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2008, 13:02:39 »
You said you would be well please if you had an image that looked like my little Saturn, you must be ecstatic with this one.

Carole

Mike

• Observing Consultant
  • O. A. S.
  • Galaxy Cluster
    • Electronicle
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2008, 13:09:56 »
That's very good Carole. Some detail there. Just need to practice getting pin sharp focus and then get LOTS of pics using the webcam to stack them.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Daniel

• Non-OAS
  • Star Class
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2008, 13:15:49 »
Definetly happier with this image, I ended up using 7 out of 11 images I had and stacking them in K3CCDtools, the focus was about as good as it'd let me get it (viewing 10X through live view on my camera) but im hoping on a day with better seeing I'll be able to get it into focus a little better!