• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Hello Astronomers!!!

Started by spacenickoy, Nov 21, 2007, 16:41:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

Quote from: spacenickoy on Nov 22, 2007, 14:49:04.....maybe a hip flask filled with some magical liquid might be in order as well..

Hey this is my kind of astronomer ! You'll fit in nicely at Drunk Sky Camp..... I mean Deep Sky Camp.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mike

Well it was nice to meet you last night Nick. Hope to see you on the 3rd.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

spacenickoy

Cheers Mike & Everyone for making me feel welcome. Sorry I bailed on the pub, I hadnt had dinner before I came out and get tetchy without sustanance. And alcohol. But the balance was leaning more toward some good old fashioned munch.

Will definately try and make it to the observation it sounds like it'll be an intersting experience and will give us a chance to meet more of you folk and of course continue were i was with the new acquaintances. Learnt quite a bit last night, mainly that thank god i have a mobile as if i had to bounce signals off a bloody meteor to have a simple conversation i think my marbles would go walkabouts very quickly!

Mike

So Nick... Will we be seeing you this weekend at Deep Sky Camp ?

spacenickoy

I am Gutted. A weekend of debauchery and lack of sleep resulted in me having to miss last nights observing against all wishes. Make us feel better, tell me there was too much light pollution or clouds :-(

I will do my best to come up. It will most likely be on the Saturday tho as Friday it is my mates birthday and we are hitting the town. It shouldnt be too mad, however I always say that and never quite fulfill that prophecy. All I need to do now is beg the mum for a weekend of car. We'll see how that goes down.

Seriously tho did you guys get good skies yesterday?x

Carole

We spent all evening in the pub as it clouded up just at the time we were going to leave.  Very annoying at is had been clear when we arrived and it was clear when we went home.

If you are managing to get to DSC on Saturday, have you got your own tent as you were talking about borrowing a car but no mention of a tent etc.  If not it might be possible for some-one to let you share theirs.

I am planning to drive down on Saturday and come back on Sunday and Mike is kindly putting my tent up for me.  I am not quite sure at what time I will be going as I might have to drop my son at Gatwick first and then carry on to Tuesnod.  If I don't have to drop him off I can go down earlier.

So if you are stuck for a lift I might be able to help. 

Carole

spacenickoy

haha yes I have my own tent. I wouldnt want to invade anyone elses. That is a very generous offer Carole, I really appreciate that and will let you know closer to the time but still with a good deal of notice.

I'm relieved you all ended up in the pub as I wouldnt of been able to handle anymore alcohol consumption, but equally gutted for you. Bloody clouds!

Mike

So Nick... What happened?

spacenickoy

Well Mike I've been Emailing Carole from Monday and I can't actually believe you guys went! You are clearly the Ray Mears' of the astronomy World.

I guess, for want of a better word 'I bottled it.' I woke up Saturday ready to go, but the weather was absolutely atrocious and as I had no way to see if you guys had actually gone. I waited out the afternoon still apprehensive, but it stayed miserable and bleak, and as my mate was meant to be giving me a lift up there I couldnt make him wait around, so just said don't worry about it, as I just couldnt imagine you lot had camped, or that much good observing would be done. How wrong I was.

I went bowling in the evening and we came out about 11.30, I look up at the sky and it is completely clear. It had been overcast all day as well! I was gutted as I knew if you lot were there it would have been good viewing. Anyway as I said I emailed Carole on Monday who filled me in and I couldnt believe you went, I'm guessing it was quite boggy? and sunday was pretty miserable, weather wise. However I'm sure you had some magic alcoholic potion so no doubt had a good time.

Anyway I checked out some of the pictures taken, particularly Fay's And Tony's. O my. They are amazing, especially Fay's Andromeda, I can't actually comprehend that picture. I wouldnt even come close to knowing how she got such a clean beautiful image. I showed the people I work with and they couldnt believe it either. So Fay if you are reading good job! I'll tell you in person next week anyway.

So Mike fill me in what shannanigans and chaos did i miss?