• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Message to all ETX Users

Started by Carole, Nov 06, 2007, 12:42:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Do any of you have a problem with the little spring clip that holds up the screws on the mount base plate?

Ever since I started using an ETX these have popped out when removing the scope.  It even happened in front of the Telescope house people and also to one they were dismantling at the time so must be a problem with the design.

What I have done is put masking tape over the screws to hopefully catch the spring clip before it falls on the grass in the dark - never to be found again - but eventually it works it's way through that.

I just wondered whether any-one else has the same problem and what they do about it, and / or whether they have any suggestions, or know where they could be replaced from should I lose one which I must inevitably do one day.

Carole

Mike

How about tying some thin fishing line to it and putting the other end on the mount somewhere?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

mickw

Yep, happened to me twice..............
I leave the scope on the tripod now and lean the lot propped up in a convenient corner.
Mick
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Carole

MickW:  at least I am not the only one with this problem, but I don;t think I could cope with leaving the telescope on the mount propped up somewhere.

Mike:  Your suggestion would stop it getting lost provided the spring clip will still push onto the screw (it's difficult enough to push it on at the best of times).  I wonder if a think piece of silk might do the same thing.

My masking tape works for a while, but eventually the hole where the screw goes through gets wide enough for the spring clip to pop out. 

Carole

mickw

Carole,
to be honest, the spring clips are only there to stop you losing the screws - Just be careful unscrewing them  ;)
Mick

Carole

As predicted, I have finally lost the spring clip.  Now being held together with a paper clip!!!

Stupid design.

Carole

Carole

N.B. tried your idea Mike but it all got tangled up while turning the screws.  never mind, as Mick says it is probably not essential, but it does stop the washer falling off.

Carole

mickw

They're called "e" clips because of the way they look.
Available in loads of places but unfortunately in packs of about a 100 for around £5  :(
You could try and scrounge one from Telescope House when you make your next purchase.
OR
You could wait until Thursday and I'll bring the one I just found   :D
Mick

Carole

Thanks Mick I'll have the one you found on Thursday.

I forgot to mention if any-one else is reading this that the spring clip not only keeps the washed on but the washer keeps the spring in place.

Carole