• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Comet

Started by Fay, Nov 01, 2007, 11:11:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

I did an image of the comet with the Canon, last night.
I seem to have a fainter version of the comet just below the main one. Do you think the images have not aligned correctly? I have tried to see if any stars are duplicated, but can't see any.
Is it possible the comet could throw a reflection somehow?

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Ian

can you post the image? It does sound like some sort of internal reflection...

JohnP

Fay - when you stack the image are you aligning on the comet or the stars (they move at different rates) - if stars then I suspect it is just movement of the comet over the time you were taking the images...

John

Fay

17 x 30 secs Comet Holmes. Taken with Canon 350D. Showing slight reflection below comet. 

JohnP

Umm... maybe just one misaligned frame & only bright comet shows up... Great imae though - was it through ZS66 or ED80...

John

Ian

I'm with John, I don't think the stars are quite bright enough to show up. Except the one at around 7 o'clock but it's reflection would be off frame at the bottom.

To be sure, if it was a reflection, it'd be evident on all of subs...

Fay

I have looked at all the subs & cannot see a reflection. I have compared the star patterns on the subs & they seem ok. 

Mike

What about a galaxy or small nebulae?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

Yes, I thought about that as well Mike.

mickw

OK, this weeks dumb question.
Do you stack the subs then process the result ?
Could an internal reflection be present on the subs but only visible when adjusting levels ?
Mick
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

Mick,

I am going to delete last night as I had a few strange things happening. I used the Canon & when I looked at the subs, there were quite a few that had the same capture time, all RAWS no JPEGS. Don't know if anyone knows the reason for this. Even 2 of the darks had duplicated

mickw

I assume you set the cameara to take RAW only.
Did you set up the camera to take bracket exposures, should be able to tell if you look at the RAW data.
Clutching at straws here  :oops:
Mick

Fay

RAW only. Never heard of bracket exposures

mickw

Bracket exposures should be in the cameras menus somewhere.
The idea is that for one release of the shutter, the camera takes extra images either side of the chosen settings - usually exposure plus or minus 1 or 2 stops.
Can be quite handy, unless you are taking 17x30  -  That could end up 51x30  :(
Mick

Mike

Quote from: Fay on Nov 01, 2007, 16:11:21I am going to delete last night....

NEVER delete astronomical data !!!  Noooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :o
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

I will have a look at that in the Canon book, Mike.

Fay

Rick

Quote from: Mike on Nov 01, 2007, 17:11:22NEVER delete astronomical data !!!  Noooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :o
Even if it appears to be in a mess, don't delete the original data. You may be able to un-scramble the mess at a later date, and when something is changing as rapidly as this comet you may have the only raw data that captures a particular event at a particular instant.

Fay

I have not deleted the comet info. I just wrote off the night