• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Receiving E Mails on Windows Mail

Started by Carole, Oct 19, 2007, 12:41:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Is there any-one out there who can offer advice.help.

As you know Doug is new to computing and I spent a whole evening at his house on Wednesday trying to get his Windows Vista Laptop to send and receive E mails from Windows Mail which is the Vista version of Outlook Express I am told.

Ken had also tried on a previous evening but could not make it work.
I did everything exactly as it said, both a) From memory. b) From the help line c) From a webpage telling you how to set up E mail on Outlook Express. 

I managed to get it to receive some E mails from Sky welcoming him to broadband, and he can now send messages out, but he cannot seem to receive any more incoming mail. 

(He can open his E mails at his ISP, but he wants to use his Windows Mail).

I am completely foxed.  I did some searching on the web last night and found a number of people had posted messages saying they were having silimar trouble, and in fact some couldn't send E mails either. at least he can now do that.

I then found a posting and the reply was that Windows Mail is incompatible with McAfee which is what Doug has.  I wonder whether it is blocking all the in-coming Mail.

Anyway, Does any-one have the time and expertise to help him sort this out.

Many thanks
Carole

Mike

Mcafee and Norton are typical pieces of bloatware that are unneccessary and do not give the user enough or easy enough control over what can and can't be allowed past it.

There are many free examples of AV and Firewall software out there that will be just as good a job and take up less resources whilst you are at it.

I also recommend you use something like Thunderbird for your email, which is also free. I have been using it sicne it came out and find it an improvement over the windows software.

If you do insist on keeping the software you have then I would be happy to take a look at it for you Doug. I am away this weekend but could do something next week sometime.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

Thanks Mike, I am sure doug would be very grateful for your help.

Carole