• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

New Question? New Topic Please!

Started by Rick, Oct 17, 2007, 11:23:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick

It really helps discussions if you start a new topic to ask a new (or only slightly-related) question. Likewise, keeping discussion about a subject in one topic is also helpful.

You'll notice I've been splitting the odd topics recently... ;)

Carole

Even if it's connected to the previous question?

Carole

Rick

If it's asking for elaboration on an earlier answer then it's continuing the discussion and should stay in the same thread... up to a point. The longer a discussion gets the more difficult it becomes to go back to it later and find information. You can see the questions I've split out of the monster Digital Photography thread. They were obvious new distinct questions. The rest of it is less easy to split up, but it might well have been easier if there'd been one about connecting a camera to a laptop, and another about what processing software to use, and so on. I'm kind-of hoping someone will extract the useful information and write some "Answers to Frequently Asked Questions" articles. The trick is to figure out which question is being asked... ;)

Ian

There is a loose, badly formed and very high level plan to extract key info from the forum and store it elsewhere for future reference. Breaking the threads down now, while we're working on them, means less work unravelling questions and answers, and tips in the future.

Well, that's the plan as it stands today anyway. Tomorrow may well be different...

Mike

I am (slowly) working on a bunch of pages with all kinds of basic information on how to do astrophotography for my own website, with graphics, etc. You are more than welcome to have them once they are done.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Ian

well it's daft if we're all doing to same thing independently. I set up a Wiki yesterday to play with. I like Wikis. I'll post a link here, but at the moment there is no info in it...

Mike

Stop hijacking my thread. Go away you bunch of reprobates. You're like a crowd of Carole clones.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

QuoteYou're like a crowd of Carole clones

Oi!!  I'm turning over a new leaf.

Tony G

Quote from: Mike on Feb 27, 2010, 11:01:14
Finally after hunting for over a year I have found somewhere that can provide a replacement worn and gear set for my damaged EQ6.
Quote from: Mike on Jun 06, 2010, 15:51:49
Although my mount is now working perfectly again. A problem has now arisen on the camera.
Quote from: Mike on Jun 09, 2010, 21:42:56
Stop hijacking my thread. Go away you bunch of reprobates. You're like a crowd of Carole clones.

Pot.................................Kettle  ;)

Tony G

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

RobertM

QuoteOi!!  I'm turning over a new leaf.

Doing some gardening then Carole ;)

Mike

Surely posting stuff in your own thread is not hijacking?!

Rick

Mike

My point is the first two quotes of Tony's above of mine were still on topic.

Rick

You could also argue that the problem with the mount and the problem with the camera were different topics...

Tony G

But surely for a forum to work, you require people to reply to your comments, and if each comment relates to a previous one on that thread, then it would not be classed as hijacking...................................unless your name is Carole, and you answer people's comments on a forum. :D

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson