• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Sorry folks, another M42! I can't resist it though. Can you forgive me?

Started by Whitters, Oct 07, 2007, 23:49:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitters

Luminance made from 60 minutes Visible with IR block, plus 10 minutes Ha.
Red 10 minutes SII
Green 10 minutes Ha
Blue 10 minutes OIII

WO 110 FLT, Astronomik Narrowband filters, Starlight Express MX916 camera.

Rocket Pooch

Hi Paul,

This image and the M33 are great, althogh with M33 you might be better off with Sigmoid or Linier curves in AIP, that is if you are still using AIP.

The centre of M42 is brilliant!  I love the shock waves.

Chris

Oscar the Cat

Hi Chris,
Thanks, I used the AIP sigma K processing for stacking the raws in the M42 image then processed the images in Photoshop using curves, and unsharp mask. I'll take a look at those other options in AIP.
Whitters

Ian

looking good there Paul. Interesting choice of colours for each exposure, using green for Ha. Or did you just sneeze on the objective?

Rocket Pooch

Just out of interest why did you K-Sigma stack it in AIP?  And this is just out of interest.

Chris

Oscar the Cat

K-Sigma sounded nice :-) It was mentioned at an image processing semina I went to a few years ago so I thought I would try it.

As for the colours. SII is in the red end of the spectrum, infact it is reder than Ha. So I assigned Ha to Green.

Fay

That is really nice Paul, only your second one as well.

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Rocket Pooch

Fay

Chris, I have been to Holland via Belgium, those earthy nations!

but did not waste my time on the coach. I studied LRGB processing & Black & White points & am just about to sit down & practise.

Looks like 13th is going to be a clear night, at this moment.

I like your space dog, Chris

fay

Fay

Oh my God, I have just thought, I hope that was not a sketch of Frodo while he was dressed up!!

Fay

Rocket Pooch

Na, he's not a space dog, he's a S£$"t at the moment, must be in his teenage years woof.

Whitters

Had another go using the average stack, Sigmoid brightness ajustment and curves. What U fink?

Oscar the Cat

I didn't do such a great job on the colour balance this time, I'll have another go. But the luminance is showing far more faint detail. However I have lost some of the detail in the core. Any more suggestions?

Ian

that's better! On my laptop, when I look at it direct on, it looks blown in the centre but if I tip the screen back more and more detail comes out of the centre. On an CRT I think that'd look stunning.

Still looks like snot though.  :cheesy:

Rocket Pooch

Paul,

Reduce the mid-point on the sigmoid level and then do a k-sigma noise reduction, actually can you e-mail me the raw stacked FITS files, not the subs and I'll have a go.

Chris