• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Digital photography

Started by Carole, Oct 05, 2007, 17:03:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Yup I'll get a hub, don't care which way I do it so long as I get a  mouse.  Hate using those fiddly pads. 
Ian are we talking about cameras here or webcams?

Carole

Ian

webcams. It's best to give them their own port. I can't think of anything else we might be using that uses anywhere near as much bandwidth...

Mike

In other words if there are two USB hubs, put the webcam in one on it's own and your hub in the other with any other devices attached.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

Yep, understand all that. 

Will try the download in the first instance as if I can't load the software onto the laptop then there's no point in getting anything to go with it yet.

Download tonight.
Day off tomorrow, so if download works can see about getting a hub and mouse tomorrow.

Fingers crossed.
If it doesn't work will have to rely on your CD Ian (thanks).

Carole

Carole

Progress report:

I managed to connect the laptop to the internet using my old version of broadband and modem.
Got into www.pk3.org
I found K3CCDDtools version 1 but when you click on the link to download it is called:
K3CCDTools ver 1.1.7.541 (05.03.2004)
What arrived on my desktop said:
K3CCDtools_full_1_1_

So not sure if I've got the right version.

There is also talk about:
The latest free key is available on K3CCDTools free key page.

Do I need this too?

Unfortunately the broadband link has now dropped and I can't seem to get it back again on the laptop, so I am now back on my desktop.

Can you let me know if I've downloaded the right thing as I can't find anything else fitting that description and do I need this Tools Free key?

Carole

Ian

If the program you've downloaded runs ok and installs that's fine. It's just chopped the end of the filename. If I recall correctly you'll need the free key. It's just a case of copying the whole block of text and pasting it into the program. The instructions are on PK3's website.

Carole

The internet connection has been dropping out all evening on the desktop as well as the laptop so have had to give up.  This happens from time to time and is very annoying.  Others days no problem at all.  When I ask my ISP about it they deny there is a problem. Only just got on again now to write this message, but don;t know how long it will last.

Have not been able to download the tools key and the programme doesn't seem to do anything without it.  Will have to try again tomorrow.

Very frustrating.

Carole

Carole

I'm making some progress.  I've bought a mouse for the laptop (relief) and managed to get it on-line again today and I think I've installed K3ccdtools version 1 and the key OK. 
I'll bring the laptop to the meeting next week Ian.

I didn't get a hub today as they were asking whether I have a USB1 or USB2 port.  I haven't a clue!!!
How can I tell?
There's nothing marked on the ports, and MY Computer doesn't seem to have that info.
Apparently USB2 is faster.

Carole

Mike

Ok ok, you've done it - This is now officially the longest thread ever.  :police:
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

I know, I realised that it would be, but is this going to be to my credit or discredit???

Carole