• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Society visit to Royal Observatory Greenwich, Sun. 6th Oct..

Started by Sue, Jun 07, 2002, 02:44:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Sue

Sunday 6th October.A date for your diaries!
Society visit to the Royal Observatory Greenwich is being organised.
To include a semi-guided tour by our President Gilbert Satterthwaite FRAS and a presentation in the Planetarium during the afternoon.
More details to follow.

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Whitters

Sue what time will that be, I will be coming back from the lakes that day and wondered if I could make it.

Sue

Paul, we were thinking of an afternoon visit, meeting for lunch ( at pub or museum restaurant) before hand as an option.

Rick

I'll be a bit too far away to get there on Sunday, but I hope you all have a good time. :wink:

Sue

Update, in case anyone is reading this but has missed details on main web page,we are meeting at 10:30, with planetarium presentation at 12:40.

Greg

Thanks for that Sue. I nearly forgot. Oh by the way, Gilbert has got permission to demonstrate the transit telescope!!

Excellent

Sue

Mike

Forgive me for my ignorance, but what's a transit telescope ?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rick

A transit telescope has only a declination axis, movement in RA being provided by the Earth's rotation, and is used for timing the meridian transits of objects.