• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Perseids already ?

Started by mickw, Aug 01, 2007, 00:45:44

Previous topic - Next topic

mickw

I have a couple of questions-
I saw 2 meteors tonight, can't be the Perseids can it ?  They appeared to be coming more from the North than NE.
Also is anyone aware of a satellite or whatever that travels South to North roughly through Cygnus at around midnight.  Second time I've seen this and it seems too fast for a plane.
Sorry for the dumb questions - This is all new to me.
Mick
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Ian

I can't comment on the Perseids (meteors are not really my thing) but as far as satellites are concerned there best place to go to find out is http://www.heavens-above.com/. Just give it your location and it'll give you an idea of when and where various pieces of orbital equipment and junk is to be seen. My favourites (other than the ISS) are the NOSS triplets...

Mike

Mick,

You can see meteors any day of the week if you are patient enough. There are actually showers all year round and there is at least one a week. However, the ZHR of most of them is very low. But spend 15 minutes out on any night lying back on a deckchair and you are guaranteed to see one or two.

Check this list out - http://www.saguaroastro.org/content/ANNUALmeteorSHOWERS.htm

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mac

had a quick look for your sat

It was Iridum 66

• it went through cygnus at 00:03
    at a magnitude of 0.48

Mac

and if you go out again at midnight you will be able to see
Iridum 72 at about the same brightness.

00:06 throught cygnus.

Mac

looking further ahead 00:17 the ISS goes through cygnus as well,
although its only going to be Mag 2.89.

the best one is going to be tomorrow morning,

02/08/07 03:26 it comes out of the earths shaddow at mag -0.2 and goes to -0.6

it will be SW about the same height as the moon and is in between
aquilla and aquarius.
you cant miss it, not including clouds.

Mac.

mickw

Thanks for all the info and the Links, looks like even more opportunities to avoid sleep  :-?
Mick
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional