• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Eastern Veil - close up...

Started by JohnP, Aug 05, 2007, 15:49:41

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

I am starting to like my new mount - best thing about it is once set up & guiding it is very repeatable so although last night I was only doing 60secs subs of the 60 I did I could use 58 (other two had satellite trails) - with the LXD I would have been lucky to have got 10....

Anyway - I always wanted to try a close up on Veil (as images I have seen show so much structure) - so used SC3 & MN56 on eastern Veil - NGC6992 - did 60 X 60secs L & 20 X60scs each R,G & B. Nice star colours as well..

I upsized finished image slighty.

Quite pleased for result from light polluted Bromley with 1/2 wanning moon lighting up the sky...

Let me know what you think - Cheers,  John.

Fay

Superb John, you will soon have a new photo album to set up!!!!!!!

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Whitters

Hi John, the structure really shows up well. Nice shot

Mike

Wow! Great image Chris. Just goes to show you how easy to use the EQ6 is.

abusing moderator privileges? moi?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Ian

Fantastic John. Btw, is Chris Mike's pet name for you?

Mike

What are you talking about?    ;)
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

Well done John all looks good to me. 

JohnP

Thks Guys & Gal..... I was pleased with performance of the mount & suprised at result I got from my modified webcam for relatively short subs....

Cheers John (Chris)

Tony G

Nice image John (OR WHOEVER YOU ARE TODAY)
While you are taking images like those above, I'm still taking ones of that object that is causing you a nuisance. (The Moon)
Stayed up Saturday until about 4am and observed loads and saw M31, 27, 57, and a few others (with the guided tour on HEQ5) and Mars for the first time, as well as the Moon.

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

JohnP

Cheers Tony - Yep Sat was a great night - I was all finished with the Veil by about 2.30 (the moon had just cleared a big tree in my neighbours garden & was becoming a bit too intrusive).. Did you try taking any widefields with your EOS...? Clarity seemed really good - I swear I could see hints of the milky way from my garden.. (never seen this from Bromley before)..

John

Rocket Pooch

I don't know who I am anymore?

Tony G

From henceforth, you shall be known as

'Chris the Traveller'

Tony G

ps drove past last night and we could all fit in there at DSC. ;)
we could use that instead of the marquee :D
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Rocket Pooch

Yes well it was the classic "I think I'll get a little caravan for weekends" and I ended up buying a Pikey 2000 road monster jobby, just need some interior bling for it now.

Fay

Chris,

Can we expect you to dress up for dinner at DSC?
Hope you won't be jumping up, in the mornings, exercising, before tucking into your full english laid out on a white cloth!
While we all sit there with our cornflakes

Who are CHRIS & JOHN?

Fay

Rocket Pooch

"Who are CHRIS & JOHN?"

Chris and John where the famous 1970 East London comedians who introduced such classics as "Where is my wash board", "Who has eaten all the pies" and the all time classic "Is that a telescope in your pocket".  These classics have been translated into many languages including German "Ver is duse vash boarden" French "Le Home Le Board en la Soap" and even Chinese "42, 12 and a 74"

After their initial success in walking the board in east London they decided to split up as a pair and pursue different hobbies. 

John managed to complete a series of astronomical feats all for a budget of £100.  He also took up a keen interest in Dutch astronomers of the mid 1990's.

Chris managed to pursue a career writing several self help books, such as the now infamous "Being sick in a tent can put you off camping", along with some minor works including "French Man & Astronomy, why inflict pain on others".

After a long time apart, several rumours we're starting to appear over the internet as to the long awaited return tour of Chris & John; however, this is only a rumour believed to have been started by "Big Tony G" their former manager.

Big Tony recently commented "it was not me that sheep already had foot and mouth" after which he realised he was talking about the wrong subject.

Astroluke

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

VERY GOOD - You didn't mention that great feat of dropping two telescopes from 500 feet whilst standing on one leg & juggling three balls.....

'sheet or sheep....' ?

I can see you are still yearning for the days of writing comic articles in magazines.....

Fay

Chris,

Very good.

I think we will ask you for a good night story when we are at DSC, never realised you had such an imaginative & inventive mind!

Fay

Tony G

Hi All,
May I just say how astounded and surprised I was to see the literatary prowness and articulate creative compositions from 'Chris the Traveller'
Can someone now please contact Chris and let him know that someone has hacked into his account and used big words AND spelt them correctly. ;)

(Big) Tony G

Rocket Pooch

Tony G

Chris,
May I say an excellent response. ;)

Tony G

JohnP

Let's see it then Tony....?

Rocket Pooch

It's here

**** Warning  ****

Unless you have an odd sence of humour don't read it.

http://www.deep-sky-photography.com/Reply.htm

Fay

Chris,

did you make that up? If not I feel sorry for the mouse!

Fay

Rocket Pooch

Yes it was made up, did John not tell you about 15 years ago I used to write silly stories for a hobby?

Fay

No John did not say anything. I think you are really clever & have a talent, you should have written proffesionally, although I will never believe another word you say!

Fay

Ian

you mean, you used to believe what Chris says?!!

JohnP

Wow! - Never before has one of my images generated such interest - 166 views & 25 replies... shame only 8 of them actually refer to my image.. Funny how a 'typo' has generated such a long abstract thread..... :-)

PS - Make that 26 replies & 167 views.....

Rocket Pooch

I don't think its a record John, I remeber a thread with "Bambie" in it some time ago being a real long one.

Rick

It's practically the law; The matter of least consequence must generate the most discussion.  :twisted: