• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Shock Horror...clear skies...!

Started by JohnP, Jul 08, 2007, 20:05:40

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

Hi All,

Clear skies at last...! As you all probably know I stripped my mount down about 2 months ago to give it a overhaul & regrease & it's been cloudy ever since. I was determined last night to give it a quick test & make sure it all still worked. Popped outside at around 11'ish & hooray all seems to still work.. :-) I did some quick 'tracking' tests etc. but haven't had a chance to analyise results yet so don't know if mount is actually any better.

Whilst I had the scope set up I thought I'd try an LRGB on M27 using SC3 + MN56 & CLS. I didn't bother wiith guiding so stuck to only 30 secs exposures. Total exposure was 26mins L & only 6mins each of R, G & B. I'm quite impressed with result for such short exposure. Let me know what you think...?

Cheers,  John.

Mike

Really nice John. Lovely colours and nice tight round stars.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

Well, have got the image on the laptop, don't know why it will not come up on the desktop.

I think it is one of you best images, John, so nice for such a good one after such a long time with bad weather, and no one imaging.

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

JohnP

Thks Mike, Fay,

I was pleasantly suprised given how short an exposure it was - I think the CLS filter really helped to bring out some of the Ha regions. Once I have my guiding sorted I may try again with my Ha filter & see if I can capture some of the 'emission jets'..

Thks again,  Here's to more clear skies - John.

Fay

Got it on the desktop now, John
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!