• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M13 - LRGB - Tuesnoad..

Started by JohnP, May 25, 2007, 14:23:53

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

OK,

While Chris was taking his brilliant LRGB of the Iris Neb with 5min subs down at Tuesnoad the other night I was kicking & cursing my mount because it just wouldn't autoguide (again) - Don't know what the problem was either pesky spiders had gotten into the gears whilst it's been stored for so long or perhaps (as  Tony would say) it's because I haven't played with the 'beast' for such a long time..

Anyway couldn't autoguide & I didn't want to waste the clear skies or making all the effort to go down there so decided to try an unguided LRGB on M13. Result is below & represents approx. 90 X 16sec L & 30 X 16secs each RGB with SC3 through ZS66.

Cheers,  John.

PS - time to strip the mount & sort out the guiding... :-(

Fay

Well, John, when I look at my M13's, from last year, not nearly as many stars as your image.

It is nice, not over done but able to see the individual stars. Not sure if you could have done much better.
I think you should be pleased with it, but it is dissapointing when you have put so much effort into it & are not personally satisfied.

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Tony G

Nice image John,

glad to see it wasn't a total waste of time.

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

JohnP

Thks Fay & Tony.

As a quick update my LXD75 mount is now in about 100 bits - It's poor tracking etc. was really starting to agrivate me so after Tuesnoad I pulled the thing to bits... No idea what I'm doing - loads of plastic & metal washers & sticky glue like grease. I've degreased it & metal polished some bearing surfaces - hopefully regrease & reassembly in next week. It'll probably never work again but if it doesn't has to be a good excuse to get a EQ6 Pro... :lol: (just don't tell the Mrs....) I'll keep you updated on its progress.

Cheers,  John