• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

One for AIP Users & and album update

Started by Rocket Pooch, May 09, 2007, 22:57:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

I found two new features in AIP, well new to me, they are K-Sigma Noise reduction and Sigma Scaling, have a look at what they can do to an image here.

http://www.deep-sky-photography.com//M81-Processing/M81.html

Also I updated my album last week: -

http://www.deep-sky-photography.com/album/

Venus from DSC is there :-)

Whitters

That second image has very lumpy background, I guess the algorithm is higlighting the small unevenness in the background as well as the galaxy core.

Rocket Pooch

Hi Paul,

Yes you are right, I choose the worse image I have taken recently just to show the difference in the noise and histogram, on my better images, M51 for example it really does wonders because there is little noise in the background.  I'll update that web page this week with M51 to show the difference.

Also to get rig of the lumpy background I could change the black point of the image, or, and this is cheeky, you could adjust the contrast on your monitor :-)

Anyway, cool aint it!

Ian

Quote from: "csuddell"Hi Paul,

Also to get rig of the lumpy background I could change the black point of the image, or, and this is cheeky, you could adjust the contrast on your monitor :-)

Or alternatively, forget noise reduction, sharpening and deconvolution. Squint when looking at the pics. In fact, standing in front of the freezer, with the light off, monitor contrast turned right down, squinting, at 2am and it's almost as if you're observing at Tuesnode. The only giveaway would be the lack of the smell of sheep poo.

Looking at your results Chris, I think I need to get a copy of AIP...

Fay

I really like your album, Chris. I have downloaded the program, but must learn to use it.

Now the clouds are in!!!

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

JohnP

Pretty cool Chris - Maybe noise reduction is a tad too much on the m81 but the scaling has really help bring out details in the arms without burning out the core... You'll have to give it a try on a few of my images...

Nice one - John