• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Leo Triplet

Started by Fay, Mar 13, 2007, 13:31:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

60 x 30 secs with SC3. IR,FR and CLS filters.

Obviously needs longer. Not sure if gain was too high. If I process more, noise etc shows too much.

Fay,
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

JohnP

Hi Fay - That looks good - you have reprocessed it well. Why have you resized it (made it smaller) - the original that you sent me was 640 X 480 pixels yet the one you have posted on the forum is 496 X 372 pixels.. It's a little too small - the 640 X 480 is a perfect size. Any chance you can post the full size image..

Thks,  John

Fay

Hi John,

I posted it via Flickr & chose the medium size. I will go in & get the large size & hope it does not show up too many imperfections.

Fay

Fay

Fay

Can't do a larger Leo from Flickr, it is the same size. I must have made it smaller beforehand for the web.

Fay

[/img]

Fay

Fay

Fay

Whole pride of them now, sorry about that.

Fay

Miriam

Dear Fay
Impressed with your pictures  - well done!
Liked the comment about a whole pride of pictures!!

Miriam

Tony G

Well done Fay, lovely images, this is one of my goals is to image these.

And by the way I thought a triplet of triplets would be better. :wink:

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Fay

Thank you for your kind comments.

Fay

Rick

Quote from: "Fay"I posted it via Flickr & chose the medium size. I will go in & get the large size & hope it does not show up too many imperfections.
Yeah, Flickr's re-sizing can be a bit of a pain. Also, unless you pay for an account they seem to limit your images to a maximum width of 1024. Still, it's free, and a lot better than some... ;)

Rocket Pooch

Well done Fay, they look good, you should let the Astronomiser guy have an image or two he will put it onto his web site.

Chris

Fay

Thanks a lot Chris. I want to ask you how you cure vignetting.

Being that I cannot get used to the SX, trying to see an image thru the noise, I put a FR on. It would not focus at first, so I took the plain glass protective filter off to get the FR nearer the camera as I could not get in close enough. I put the FR in various positions. Nearer the camera, in the centre of the other filters & at the front. I found a suitable position.

I was really pleased & thought I had cracked it when I got a good image of M42. I remembered that I could not see too much with the SC3 without the FR.
However, when I went to another subject, the vignetting was quite severe & I was a bit cheesed off that I had not sorted out my problem, as I had thought.
I should have put this on a new subject.

Fay

Mike

Fay - What can I say? Wow !! Well impressed. Well done.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

JohnP

Fay - What do you mean by vignetting...? Are you sure this is what the problem is - I am suprised as the SX is still quite a small chip - Any chance you could post a sample picture & perhaps start a new thread...? I have never had vignetting problems with the SC3 only with the EOS.

Thks,  John

Rocket Pooch

Hi John,

Just as an example my F6.3 reducer gives vignetting on the HX916 with a 9mm chip even though at prime the vixen has 42mm of flat field coverage.  The FR's pull in the light cone and therefore reduce the overal coverage across the chip.

Fay, I think what you have is field curvature on the FR, but you will need to take a flat field to find out.

Chris

Fay

I can't remember what subject I had gone to, but the whole centre was a very light circle, like looking thru a tube.

Fay

Whitters

Very nice image Fay, that's two of Apr's peculiar galaxies 16 & 317, only another 336 to go :-)
http://members.aol.com/arpgalaxy

Whitters

Actualy having imaged M51 and it's companion that leaves 335 :wink:

Fay

Thanks Paul, they have been on the site for quite a while, I am glad you liked them. I want to do the Hickson group as well.

Fay