• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Breeding Dust Bunnies!

Started by Fay, Feb 04, 2007, 09:24:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

Can someone please advise me the best way to clean dust from filters.  

Also, when you use a Ha filter, should you focus without it on first, being that hardly anything is visible with it on, & do you then have to refocus?

Should you see anything obvious pertaining to nebulae when using one that you would not see without it?  

Thanks,

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

JohnP

Hi Fay,

With Ha filter you need to pick a really bright star & focus on that first (with Ha in place of course) then go to the object you want to image & start imaging...

I have had limited success with Ha - I think the CLS does nearly as good a job but with much shorter exposures.. You'll definitely need tracking to make full use of the Ha. You may have more success using it with your SX rather than the SC3..

Cheers,  John

Mike

The best way to clean dust from filters is with a photographers air blower - If they are REALLY dusty then wash them in a very mild lukewarm washing up liquid solution and then rinse with distilled water, then allow to dry.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan