• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

auto focuser

Started by Tony G, Oct 17, 2006, 20:26:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony G

Hi all,
Just wondered if anyone had an auto focuser that I could borrow for a few days to look at closely, as I'm looking for one for my scope, but at this present time the manufacturers say that there is no focuser on the market to fit mine, :(   so i hoping that there maybe one that I could adapt to suit mine. (I'm not going to adapt the one that is loaned, if anyone has one, its just to see if I could do a little engineering myself and adapt something. Below are a couple of images of the focusing knob at the back of my scope, so if anyone can help, it would be appreciated.

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

JohnP

Hiya Tony,

When I had my old Tal-2m (before the MN56 & LXD) I made a two speed electronic focuser based on a DC motor & a few relays/ diodes. I mounted it to the focusser of my Tal-2m & it worked great - it was certainly good for focussing using a Toucam & X3 barlow.. I've sold the Tal now but took the focusser off (I may one day adapt for the MN56) - You are welcome to play with it if you can come up with a way of adapting to your scope... A few pictures are below:

cheers,  John

Mike

Yony,

Contact Arthur at Ambermile - http://www.ambermile.co.uk/ - He may be able to get teh Artemis auto focus to work with your kit.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Tony G

Thanks for the offer of your focuser John, but looking at the photos I think it would need a lot of adapting, but I've found an Orion focuser @ www.scsastro.co.uk for £42 and looks the most promising and cheap as well.
Thanks as well Nike, I mean Mike (slip of the finger) for the other info, but it looks like there is to many of those circuitme board thingymebobs for my liking.

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson