• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Imaging with 6" Maksutov

Started by Fay, Oct 22, 2006, 09:12:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

Being that I feel that all my software & equipment is now in full operational order, just waiting to see a star or two for a really good practise!

I have only used the ED80 with my SC3 & will probably with the Canon 350D.

What are the best subjects for using my 6" Maksutov, as I don't like to think it will be obsolete, most of the time, regarding imaging, & would I use a 0.5 focal reducer, or what for best results?  

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

JohnP

Hi Fay,

I'm not sure but I think your maksutov is a 6-inch F12 i.e 1800mm F/L..? If that is correct then with the chip size of the SC3 you will get about a 11 X 9 arc min field of view so basically you can image any objects smaller than this... with the 0.5X focal reducer the FOV will be twice as large i.e. 22 X 18 arc mins - tracking & exposure length will be not be so much of an issue with this combination...

With the EOS 300D you will get a 43 X 28 arc Min FOV.... (the full moon is about 1/2 deg or 30 X 30 arc min for comparison)

Something like M31 is 180 arc min X 60 arc min whereas M27 is only about 7 arc min in diameter.. Something like the bubble nebula is 15 X 8 arc min & so would fit nicely on the SC3 & 0.5 X FR but you may need relatively long exposures so tracking might be an issue...

You need to experiment to determine what you can do with your current setup & no guiding..

Cheers,  John.

Fay

Thanks for that, John, I will try & properly digest that information.

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!