• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Astrofest

Started by Ian, Jan 12, 2003, 03:34:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian

I'm planning on going to Astrofest on the 8th feb, anyone else want to join me to make a group? I'm going to try and get some tickets for the lectures in the morning.

I'll be sending off the ticket thingy during this week.

Ian

Whitters

Put me down for one.
Cheers
Paul

Sue

I usually try to go on the Friday but may have a family commitment on that day. I will have to wait until nearer the event to make definite plans. Looks like a good range of talks across the two days!

Rick

I'm going to be in Ipswich that weekend...

Greg

I am going to try and make it on one of the days.

Mike

I'd like to go to - don't know about the lectures, but definately like to have a look around the main hall and the products on display.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mike

So guys - What's happening on Saturday ? Where are you leaving from and what time ? I haven't got any tickets so i'll just pay on the door.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Whitters

Hi Mike,
We are meeting at Charring Cross concourse near the burger bar at about 8:50am then off on the circle line. See you then

Mike

Oh OK, I thought you were travelling up together. Never mind, I cannot meet that early anyway as Cris needs to go to the Doctors at 0900 and she is coming too.

I am going to drive up and park at work, then get the tube. If you guys would rather drive, then I can arrange parking at work which is right next to Bank Tube station. Don't be afraid to ask ! That goes for anyone else in the OAS that would rather go in a car than the train.

[ This Message was edited by: Mike on 2003-02-05 22:22 ]

Rick

I'll not be there, but I  hope you all enjoy Astrofest. Don't forget that the Central Line is still closed and the replacement busses take forever... :wink:

Whitters

OK Mike thanks for the offer, but I think I will stick with the train. See you there Saturday

Mike

Don't need the Central Line - will use the Disctrict or Circle line to Kensington High Street from Monument, which is also next to where I work.

OK, Paul, the offer remains if anyone else is interested.

Maybe i'll give you a call on your mobile when we get there and we can meet up for a coffee or something ?!

[ This Message was edited by: Mike on 2003-02-06 13:05 ]

Whitters

Sounds like a good plan, do you have my number? P.S. if I'm in the lecture I have it switched off, but you can leave a message.

Mike

So, Ian and Paul, what were the lectures like ? Were they worth it ?

I wasn't that impressed with the exhibition personally. It was more like a car boot sale than anything. The quality of some of the stands was very poor, especially the society stands. I also though that the space was far too small. When we went back downstairs to look for Greg the crowds were so big that ervyone was pushing and shoving. Both of us had enough after 5 minutes so decided to leave.

They should have enough space to be able to look at the exhibits properly without having people trying to get past you. The stands were right next to each other almost making it difficult to look at thing swithout being knocked by people.

Anyway, had a chance to look at the LXD-55 on the Titan mount and I am seriously considering it as a cheaper alternative to the LX200. I just want to see some astro-pics taken by people with this configuration and get some feedback from them. Apart from that I wasn't that impressed.

Ian

I'll sit down tonight and do a write up. It wasn't all bad but I'm sure that is was far busier than last year....

Sue

I went to the Astrofest on Friday, it sounded a lot less busy than Saturday. I've found the best time to get round the stands is when the event first opens at 9:00am, there is chance to chat to exhibitors and have a comfortable browse. I had to miss Alan Chapman's talk at the end of the day, unfortuately, and the main hall was almost empty as I left at 4:45! So the last hour seems a good time too.