• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M16 - Eagle Nebula in Serpens..

Started by JohnP, Jul 18, 2006, 09:28:01

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

I decided I wanted to try for M16 last night (open cluster with nebulosity) however, I figured my chances of success were minimal due to the following reasons:

(1) M16 keeps very low in the south
(2) My view to the south low down is very poor - lots of light pollution - in fact last night the only star I could see South was about Mag 2.8.....
(3) It was very hot & I was imaging just above the top of a large wooden shed with an asphalt roof.
(4) My SC3 webcam is uncooled & does not have the amp-off mod. In fact last night I could see 'hot pixels' flashing on & off on the screen in preview (never seen this before)
(5) Due to trees etc. I only have a small opportunity of imaging this so I needed to be all set up & tracking etc. before it was dark.

However, all said it was very clear last night. I currently use Delphinius for mag levels & could see Zeta Del at mag 4.64

Anyway I set up my SC3 with MN56 using a 0.5X FR with Baader Moon & Skyglow filter & captured 132 X 10 Secs frames. I figured using the 0.5X FR would give me a nice wide view of the cluster & any nebulosity.

I'm pleased with the result although, as expected it's a bit noisy (I really need to look into cooling the webcam) - I might try & image again without the FR to get higher resolution on the 'Eagle'.

Cheers,  John.

Rocket Pooch

Well you must be chuffed to bits with that camera, again a great image for the price.

Now get it cooled and get guiding  :)

JohnP

Thks Chris - Yep I'm pleased .. Since I've modified the Toucam I've taken loads of images of DSO's not possible with the equipment I had before - Spending £60 on a new CCD for the Toucam was probably the best money I've spent on this hobby. Cooling is definitely the way to go though.. I'll need to try and sort out a Peltier circuit... sounds like fun.

Cheers,  John

Fay

John,

your last couple of images have been fantastic!!!!!

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

JohnP

Thank you Fay :-) I've just spent an hour or so updating my webpage

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/john.punnett/

If you hit the All images button you can access all my latest pictures. I also updated my Messier list I've now completed 13 out of 110.... (11%)... I think it'll be a life long effort to get this filled up.... :-( Still there are a few NGC/ Caldwell & of course planetary & moon shots in between...

Up until Jan 2006 most of my imaging comprised planetary/ moon with a few DSLR images - since January (when I modified the camera) I've managed lots of DSO's...

How are you getting on with the Toucam...?

John

Greg

John, what a joy to see such dedication to the art. This ones is so low down. Magic just magic!

JohnP

Thks Greg - I must admit i was pleased with the result - John

Greg

If you send me the original I will make sure it gets published. I think there is some cash for getting pics published.

JohnP

Greg can you pm me you email address or send to john at jp-technologies dot co dot uk

Thks