• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Unsuccesfull imaging evening

Started by Fay, Jun 25, 2006, 12:19:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

Was trying to image up to 1am Sunday morning, but not a lot of luck.

I was trying to get M57, M13 with my Nikon 4500. I tried many combinations, but have not got there yet. I focused thru the digimax zoom, removed it & screwed the camera to it. You have to be careful that you don't unfocus when reattaching camera. When I looked at the image on the back of the camera, there is definately something where M57 or M13 should have been. It looked more promising on the camera  monitor than when I looked at it on the computer. Images always seem to look lighter, on the camera, than they really are.  

I don't even think that Chris, could work a miracle on them!!!!!

Back to the drawing board!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

JohnP

Don't worry about not grabbing images it's the learning that counts... M57 is a really tough object - it took me several attempts before I got it then the results were kinda crap... Check out my first attempts on my webpage. What length exposures were you using...?

I went out last night myself & also had an unsuccesful evening - I was trying to autoguide using my SC3 & MN56 whilst long exposure imaging using my EOS300D & ZS66..  found out I haven't got enough USB ports on my laptop... :-( need to get a USB hub & practice in the daylight first...

Cheers, John

Fay

Hi John,

I was exposing from 10 - 60 seconds. It was not dead accurate.
M57 looked more like a cluster.

I thought I had captured M57 M13 but I know from past experience, that what you see on the camera monitor is not what you see on the computer. I was probably underexposing, in the end,  as the monitor image seemed so bright.
Perhaps I should take as many as I can, at one time, & stack them.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!