• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M67 & B33 (Horsehead)

Started by JohnP, Feb 10, 2006, 12:38:18

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

OK - below are a couple of 'not particularly exciting' images that I took last night with my SC3 ToUcam. I wanted to try & image a star cluster just to check the scope/ camera - the only suitable one was M67 in Cancer - It's an open cluster with about 200 stars. The image is the sum of 60 X 4 sec exposures. It  amazes me when the stars pop up on the laptop when imaging because when I looked in that area of the sky visually I could barely count 3 or 4 stars.

My 2nd target was the Horsehead Nebula in Orion - I've have tried to image this on numerous ocassions using various camera's but have never succeeded. I have at last got it although it's a bit of a crap image.... The image represents the sum of 20 X 30 sec exposures using SC3 ToUcam + MN56 & a Ha filter & has been binned by 2. I need to do a lot more exposures or longer exposures (not possible at the moment with my setup) for a better image but I'm well pleased to have got it at last - this was only possible because of my newly modified ToUcam.

As well as the two images below I also spent time playing with the Ha on M42 & looked at NGC3628, M65 & M66 all in Leo. The LXD was working great last night all my Goto's were spot on.. The new camera is great as I'm able to see/ image a lot more things much easier.

Looking forward to DSC & dark skies & NO MOON.....!

Cheers,  John