• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Weather prediction for DSC weekend!

Started by Sue, Feb 02, 2006, 07:59:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Sue

Just had the Feb forecast from Piers Corbyn, he is predicting snow and blizzards in the SE for the DSC weekend! Been fairly accurate on predictions this winter so far. Don't know what the other long range forecasts are saying. Is there an alternative date, fallback position, planned this year?

Tony G

We won't have to worry about tents or a marquee, we can just build a XL igloo,
and I won't be using the eco toilets either if that weather is forecasted.

Tony G

PS don't go by the Metcheck forecast because you will only require shorts and tee shirts.
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Rick

Quote from: "Tony G"PS don't go by the Metcheck forecast because you will only require shorts and tee shirts.
Hmmm... What part of the world do they think we're in? The southern hemisphere? ;)

Delphine

Brrrrr.... think I make take a snowcheck

JohnP

Thks Sue - Is he predicting any clear nights between now & DSC.... I'm getting withdrawal symptons with all this incessant cloud... I'm itching to do some more imaging....

Thks,  John

Mike

Knowing how well Mr. Corbyn's predictions did for the observing evenings in 2005 I don't think we have too much to worry about ;)
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mike

Maybe Mr. Corbyn's predictiions may be accurate after all !! it's been snowing for two hours now and everyhting is white! Should maek for an interesting DSP weekend!

I wonder if we will beat our record of -4.8 C ?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Tony G

Well I hope there is a team of Huskies and sledge to transport all the equipment and all the thermal underwear from the road up to the end of the field.
Can the first person there please light the fire and have the kettle boiling. :lol:

Thanks

Tony G

PS I am now going to test the anti dewing system(BC&Ew)on myself over the weekend.
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

JohnP

I can catagorically say I won't be first this time.... Must be something to do with the 'complex' I got when I pitched my tent in the normal place & then everyone else decided to pitch theirs 50 yds away..... :-)

Seriously though the whole family (me included & especially the baby) have been ill with fever & vomiting... must be a bug going around - I'm still not 100% so I'm going to have to wimp out on the sub-zero temperatures I'm afraid. Saturday night looks promising so I might try & pop down with the gear to do some imaging (but no camping)..

Cheers,  John.