• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Leonids predictions

Started by Rick, Nov 13, 2002, 05:49:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick

Check this website for details of a storm predicted for November 19th: http://planetary.org/html/news/articlearchive/headlines/2002/leonids2002.html

Note in particular "United Kingdom: between 3:00 a.m. - 5:00 a.m., with the peak around 4:00 a.m."

Rick

A BAA circular adds "The first, due to debris released from the comet in 1766, is expected  around 04h UT on the Tuesday morning of November 19. The same debris produced the first of 2001's storms, over North America."

Mike

Is there any particular reason our Leonid Observing Evening is on the Sunday if the peak is on a Tuesday ??
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Delphine

Sorry I won't be at the observing evening on Tuesday as I will be in Portugal.

Rick

The Leonid maximum is traditionally on the 17th, which is why I'd guess that date was chosen. Chances are we won't actually see many Leonids, even if we do stay out in the field til past 23:30 when the radiant rises.

The orbits of the Leonid meteoroids are now rather better understood, so predictions can be made for meteor showers caused by meteoroids shed from the parent comet on particular perihelion passes. It's from one of those calculations that the 04:00 Tuesday morning prediction comes. Given the time, it's probably worth setting an alarm clock for, but not worth arranging a Society observing morning for... :wink:

Rick

Delphine, if you're awake at 04:00 GMT (which I guess would be 05:00 in Portugal) on Tuesday morning and the skies are clear, have a look out. You might well see more meteors from there than we'll see from here. :wink:

Enjoy your holiday.

Delphine

Many thanks I will.  I am taking my alarm clock with me to ensure that I wake up !!!

Miriam

No observing tonight (Sunday 17th November), as the Leonids will occur early Tuesday morning.
Jeff

Delphine

I didn't need my alarm clock in Portugal as I was woken up by a very loud thunderstorm!!!
Needless to say i didn't see any Leonids!!