• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

This weekends challenge

Started by Rocket Pooch, Dec 16, 2005, 16:24:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

John P has poked me into trying NGC891 the next time its clear, the forecast for tomorrow night is good, full moon and -3c, so lets see what we can do then  :P

Mike, Paul & Ian, how about you guys freezing you're tackle off at these targets.

M81, NGC2403 & NGC891 and lets compair notes.

Apparently Saturn should be quite high in the early hours  :o

Mike

Would love to join you, but have my bro over from the US. We will therefore be getting extremely inebriated and seeing stars of a different kind. Good luck though, I look forward to the results !
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Whitters

Tracked down 891 last night, took a couple of hours integration with Ha and no filter. It was geting rather cool around 1am, so got my arctic bag out, was nice and warm. Next thing I know it's 3am and the scope is taking images of the fence!
Still to process the images.

Rocket Pooch

Thats great  :lol: please post a stck of the fence.

I found out that the oak tree at the back of my garden has some branches which get in the way, and wait for it, the LX90 with the camera in the back cannot point high enough to get onto any of the images I wanted to image, so all I ended up doing was taking pictures using the 400mm scope needless to day my image of m82 it tiny so I won't enter it a good, but I will post it later.

I did manage to get all the Subs, Darks, Bias, Flats & Dark Flats done and the result was a perfectly flat image with no defects in it  :D So I might try the photometry in AIP on the image and see what it does.

Also I was thinking of putting together a processing page on my web site showing the effect of each of the stages on an image on a set of FITS, what do you think, shall we have an Image processing page on the main site, it might get us some hits?

JohnP

I'm all up for an image processing page... hints & tips etc... There is some great images being posted so I'd love to learn any 'tricks of the trade'...

John