• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

New TWIRG mode mod

Started by Rocket Pooch, Nov 15, 2005, 21:50:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

I had a look again at TWIRG and there's a non RAW mod available now and it works very well, its a now RAW Optimised mod and does not affect any camera controls, but it does reduce noise on the images a lot (I can mail you the AVI's if you would like to look at them)..

un-modded picture

TWIRG Modded picture

These pictures we're using the same camera the same exposure mode and the same processing.  Teh twirg one shows better colout and resolution and also the AVI's had hardly any noise.  Apparently vesta and toucam web cams have on-board sharpening this is turned of and enhances the low light capabilities of the cameras, cool eh and it seems to work.

[/img]

Rick

The colour balance looks less green but the edges look fuzzier in the lower image. Are those both at original resolution, or have they been scaled by different factors?

Rocket Pooch

Hi, there both the same resolution, the bottom one is less sharp because the mod turns off the on-board sharpening routine.

Rick

Right. That'd explain it. Presumably it also means you have a raw image to work with, rather than one that's already been messed with, and as the on-board sharpening is probably a simple 9-point convolution matrix... It's not so much better resolution (that's down to the detector grid's scale) as less noise on the captured image.

Rocket Pooch

yes thats right, I did try it the other night and the avi's had nearly no noise, however focusing was harder, the raw avi we're not too good because clouds kept comming in, so maybe tonight will be better?

I'll post some results soon.

Mike

Sounds promising. Look forward to the results to compare them.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan