• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Another floodlit playing field planned

Started by Rick, May 30, 2002, 05:44:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick

Darrick Wood School is planning on adding floodlights to its all-weather pitch. There's a public meeting at 7:30pm on Tuesday June 25th in the Main Hall at the school to discuss the proposal.

Thoughts, anyone?

Ian

I don't actually know where that is. Do you have any information regarding the times they plan on using the floodlights?

Whitters

Mike

Yeah lets get some more info. on timings, etc.

If need be a group of us can go to the meeting and view our opinions !
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rick

I had a leaflet put through my letterbox because I live on the same road as the school, Lovibonds Avenue. I already see some light-spill from the field at Newstead Woods that put paid to the Society's observatory project. I'll definitely try to get to the meeting if only to argue against the nuisance it'll cause me.

Rick

Sue

Are you still able to attend Rick? I'm afraid I am not able to make the meeting.

If no one from the society can attend could we submit an objection in writing? Is there a deadline?

Rick

I'm hoping I'll get home in time, yes. The school is a short walk from my place, so it shouldn't be any more trouble to get to than an OAS meeting...

Rick

Well, the meeting was some sort of preliminary  discussion, as no planning application has been made yet. At the moment they seem to have some idea about what they'll need to do to avoid causing severe light pollution, but until an actual planning application is made, everything is subject to change. They are now aware that light pollution is a specific concern that needs to be addressed...