• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Mars - DSC Headcorn

Started by JohnP, Oct 30, 2005, 17:30:48

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

Hi All,

Only managed to take one image at DSC this time. I had my new scope (MN56) & spent most of the time doing visual stuff... also conditions weren't the best for imaging on the Saturday - although it was clear at times it kept on clouding over & was also very 'windy...' :-)

Anyway attached is my attempt at Mars using my MN56 & a TouCam web camera with X3 barlow. Image is stack of 450 images. This was my first image with the new scope & it looks quite promising... I also have another file with 1500 images to stack & will post for comparison when I get a chance.

Cheers & thanks to all who attended for another great weekend.

John.

PS - I'll post you the raws Greg to have a play with....

Sue

Well done John! Looks like you have a lot of detail.
I think they may be the only CCD/toucam  images from the weekend judging by the coditions first thing this morning! I felt for those who had stayed over.

JohnP

Hi Sue, Thks for your comments - I was pleased with the detail captured also - It always amazes me how much you can bring out when you stack images. I think you were right about last night - sounds like they were rained out - Saturday was the best night..

Tony G

Hi all,
we were rained off and we even contemplated building an Ark out of all the wood with all the rain, but thought better of it and burnt it instead.
The tarpulin came in handy though. Today we were going to wait for the rain to stop to take down the tents, but if we had it would have been the longest ever DSC, so we got soaked instead.

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Oscar the Cat

Congratulations on a mighty fine image.

P.S. The one that feeds me still hasn't finished kicking his laptop.

Mike

Quote from: "Tony G".......but if we had it would have been the longest ever DSC, so we got soaked instead

And in typical fashion it stops raining and the sun comes out as soon as all our wet gear was packed away !!!!

Great image John !!
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

JohnP

Hi All,

I asked Chris to have a go at processing my Mars Avi - Attached is the result - I prefer this to my attempt - Cheers Chris - Nice one...

Sue

Oscar the Cat

Nice image John,
Chris what did you do differently, did you split up the color channels?

Rocket Pooch

Nope, I took John's AVI processes it in Ragistax3, during optimisation I created a master reference image and then applied a 2xMitchell resample, stacked 60% of the frames, I did a 0,0,0,15,50,65 wavelett, adjusted the colour balance in Registax using the colour blender, then did a Estimate RGB shift and a manual Blue shift -3.  

Bingo.

Mike

Oh as simple as that ay !  :o
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

it could have been worse...

JohnP

I must admit I'm really impressed - you did a great job - I will have to give it a try myself & see if I can get the same result.

Thks again,  John :-)

Mike

It's a nice pic. Loads of detail. Certainly the most successful shot of the weekend !  :evil: