• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Imaging Session - My Garden

Started by Mike, Oct 12, 2005, 11:59:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

I am thinking of arranging an imaging session in a couple of weeks some time after DSC. It will be on a Friday or Saturday night in my garden and people can crash overnight if they wish if they bring a sleeping bag.

Would anyone be up for that?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Ian

Gazing into the administrators crystal ball I'd say the safe money would be on a certain Mr Suddell...

I might be able to get a night pass for that one Mike, house move depending. Are you going to fix a date closer to the time so we can take the weather into account?

Mike

Yeah, will pick a date after DSC.

Carole Pope

Always interested in a viewing opportunity.
Where do you live?

Carole

Mike

Carole I live in Orpington near Avalon Road.

p.s. You do realise it is an IMAGING session?

Whitters

Mike

OK I'm looking at organising this now, probably towards the end of Nov. Can you all tell me if you prefer a Friday or a Saturday and if there are any dates you CANNOT make in November please.

Mike

OK got no replies for this so it will have to be put off till January now as the weekends are going to be busy leading up to Xmas.

Ian

sorry mate, there was an implied no preference. Let me know when you planning it, and I'll try and be there.

Carole

Still interested in coming if I may, however seeing as I have no photography equipment of my own I felt I should fit around those who do as I'm only an on-looker - and this is why I didn't reply before.  

Any time in January looks OK for me.

Was fascinated by your talk at the last meeting, and would like to see more.

Carole

Mike

OK lets arrange a date now. How about Friday 20th January ?

Carole, although it is an imaging session you are welcome to come along to see how it is all done.

Can everyone let me know if the 20th is ok with them, if the consensus is no then I will arrange another date.

Carole

20.1.06 is fine by me.

Carole

Ian

at this point, the 20th looks good. Like Carole, don't organise anything around me.

JohnP

Hi Mike - It's a long way off but 20th Jan looks OK to me also at the mo... Cheers,  John

Whitters

20th Jan is OK for me too.

Mike

OK, weather permitting the 20th it is then at 2000. Anyone wanting to crash out is welcome.

Ian

surely it'll be 2006 by then?

Rocket Pooch

I'll go, I'm in the country :-)

P.S. if it cloudy shall we just come round with some beer  :P

Mike

Yeah if it's cloudy your still welcome, bring some tinnies.

Mike

So who is coming to this on the 20th then?

Carole

Mike,

I have been asked to help out in an opera (my other hobby) and there will be a performance on 20th.  However I will be able to get away probably by around 10.00 ish so could come after that, will that be OK?

It also means I will miss the next Meeting night.  

I don't have your exact address, can you give it to me at the dinner.  If you are not going to be there perhaps you can E mail it to me.

Thanks
Carole

Whitters

Mike

Carole I will be at the dinner so will give you the address then.

Tony G

Mike,
just wondered if it was alright to venture down for a couple of hours (weather permitting) just to see the "experts" in action and the get a few tips on where I may be going wrong.

regards

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Mike

Tony - sure no problem. Are you going to the society dinner on Friday? If not I will PM you the address.

Tony G

Mike

see you Friday, save me the turkey drumstick. On second thoughts forget the turkey. :(

regards

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Mike

OK we are looking at starting around 1930. However, if you want to get there earlier to set up then you are welcome. Cris is on from 5pm onwards.

If you are planning on staying over then bring a sleeping bag, blow up bed, etc. There is a single bed in the spare room and two sofas downstairs that can ge grabbed, otherwise its the floor.

If people are staying to image I would rather they crash over than annoy the neighbours at some unearthly hour crashing and banging about putting your stuff back in the car. The alternative is to leave your kit at mine and collect it the next day.

If you aren't imaging but want to come along to see how its all done then you are welcome. If you want to bring kit to observe then again be mindful of the neighbours and noise of putting kit away if it's late.

Imagers - Don't forget any long extension leads you may need if you want mains power.

Hot Drinks will be provided of course.

If it turns out cloudy, you are all still welcome to come over - bring some tinnies or bottles :)

If you need my address and phone number then PM me and I will PM it back by reply. Anyone that is coming please let me know if you haven't already so I know how many to expect. Otherwise, see you Friday.

Mike

Folks - The weather forecast is NOT looking good. If it is overcast I will reschedule for a few weeks time.

However, you are still welcome to pop over anyway for a chat and a cuppa if you like.

Mike

Mike

Well - The weather forecast has done a complete U-Turn and is now promising a mainly clear sky !! In other wods - expect ANYTHING to happen !

Ian

but be particularly careful when walking past tins of tomatoes...

good luck for tonight, I'm afraid I can't join in, but I may get a chance late tonight to get my scope out if the weather holds.

Tony G

Mike,
Well done on the date you picked back on November 21st for this session,
you have done better with two months notice than what the Met office can do for the next day,I personally think we should let you in future pick the dates for the observing evenings.

Tony G

PS what lotto numbers are you doing this weekend? :wink:

Tony G

Mike & Cris
Thank you for your hospitality last night and for the useful information from everyone.

Thanks again

Tony G

Rocket Pooch

Well guys, I didn;t get there, I lost you're address and phone number, :-( big boo hoo because although I would have leaft before 1am (to pickup new scope) it looked really clear, so I look forward to seeing all the pictures soo.

Whitters

Mike & Cris, thanks for the hospitality, great evening, fantastic skies.

Mike

Thanks everyone that came - We had 9 in all. It was an excellent night and as the night got later the sky got clearer. The diehards Paul and I were out till about 4am. Technical difficulties (and a bit of stupidity on my behalf) meant the images were limited.

Another one will be planned for in about 2 months time.