• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Remote Controlled Field Observatory

Started by Mike, Oct 06, 2005, 14:12:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

I don't really have a spot in my garden suitable for a permanent observatory as I can only get good views in all directions by moving the equipment around the garden, nor do I wish to spend money on two sets of equipment, ome permanent and one for the field.

However, I do wish to have my equipment remote controlled so I can set it up and then operate it all from indoors in the warmth :)

Anyway, I am half way there. I have been playing around with the Ascom drivers to get the mount to be software controlled and have got that working fine. I can now slew and goto the mount via software like Starry Night, MaximDL, etc. I am working on getting MaxPoint to work with it all (demo version so far) to get pinpoint goto accuracy; have had a few teething problems with that.

I can do all that remotely via my wireless network over VNC software. I can set up the equipment outside with the laptop, then go indoors and control the software over the wireless network.

What I need next is a motorised filter wheel and focuser as at the moment the yhave to be adjusted manually. I am thinking of getting the Trutek superslim wheen and I am in discussions with Nick at Trutek to see if it is suitable for my equipment and what adaptors I need, etc.

Next, and most importantly, I will be getting a motorised focuser of some kind. The RoboFocuser was my weapon of choice, but it is very expensive.
A UK company called Artemis is about to bring out a temperature compensating motorised focuser in the next few months, so I will probably hang on till that comes out as it is about 2/3 the price of the US equipment. They do retro-fit and complete units. May go for a complete unit for the ED80 and a retro for the Vixen. I already have two custom built pieces of equipment from Arthur at Artemis and they are good quality(3" extension tube for my guide camera and a dual mounting bracket to enable me to mount my scopes side by side).

Anyway, once I have those I will be able to set up everything outside, then go inside to the warmth and control it all remotely. It will also enable me to do automated scripted imaging via MaximDL so I can do some hunting for nova and the like with the Vixen and also be able to have a kip whilst it gets on with it  :roll:

I will keep you informed of the progress.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

JohnP

Very impressive indeed - I didn't know that you was working on all this. Does this mean you'll be wrapped up inside your sleeping bag in your tent at DSC doing your imaging remotely whilst we are all outside freezing off our 'digits....' The Nova hunting sounds really exciting - who knows you could get your name in 'lights' yet. Can we have a demo please when you get it all sussed....?

Cheers & good luck,  John.

Mike

Quote from: "JohnP"Does this mean you'll be wrapped up inside your sleeping bag in your tent at DSC doing your imaging remotely whilst we are all outside freezing off our 'digits....'

Hmmm, I didn't think of that!

Quote from: "JohnP"Can we have a demo please when you get it all sussed....?

Yeah sure, I was planning on organising an imaging/obs session in my garden in a few weeks or months anyway so you can see it then if you want to come over. I won't have all the bits for the Autumn DSC.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan