• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Reflecter

Started by dominic, Sep 14, 2005, 15:27:04

Previous topic - Next topic

dominic

Hello

i am kinda new to using a reflecter Telescope and i am not to sure on how to adjust it. at the moment i dont See any stars or anything in the eyepeice aand i dont want to move it incase i make it worse.

do you have any tips on how to adjust it?

Mike

Dominic,

Welcome to the forum.

How are you focusing the stars? Do you have any pictures of the scope ?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

dominic

Sorry i dont have any pics of the scope.

Well it has a View finder on it and i use that. Then i look into the main Scope itself and i dont see anything even when i point it at the moon (dangres i know) i Cant see what Way out it is.

Mike

What is the make and model of the scope?

When you say you see 'nothing' - Do you see literally black or can you see fuzzy out of focus things?

What happens if you put the cover on and look down it, then take the cover off and point it towards a light?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

dominic

Well its a Sci Tech and it a 262 power.

Well i just see Black when i point it to a light i see a Glow but i Cant See Where is is coming from clerly as it is just completely light up an it is very bright. thats with the eyepices of. When i look inthere with them off i can see the small mirrer then the bottom mirrer but nothing else

Mike

I have no idea of the design of that telescope. I have never heard of it and can't find anything on the net about it. Sounds like it is a reflector not a refractor.

Are you able to take a photograph of it using a digital camera ?

Are you putting an eyepiece in when using it and are you adjusting the focus using the knobs?

I would suggest looking at the moon as it is such a big bright object and getting that in focus, then moving onto a bright star and doing the same. Once you have the focus point then mark it on the focus tube using a marker pen so you know where to aim for for that particular eyepiece.

If you still have trouble then I suggest you bring it along to our next meeting or observing session so we can see what is going wrong.

dominic

I said it was a reflecter sorry if my speeling confused you.

Well i Cant See anything in te scope it is not the focus but it is the alinment in it that i can not figure out on how to adjust (this is my first time with a scope as well)

its a prety cheap make (Cost £79.99) i got from ASDA but it is of a resonable size and power.

i would like to come to one of the observing sessions or meetings but i dont have any transpot and im also very busy on the thuesdays and thursadays.

Maybe We could arragne to meet up near me i have a Good filed not to far away with little light pollution (thats if you guys dont mind)

Mike

Even if the scope was out of alignment you would still see stars, you just wouldn't be able to obtain perfect focus.

The 'power' as you are referring to is probably the magnification that they advertise on the box. I would suggest you ignore that number because it is impossible to reach that kind of magnification and have the object in focus. If you say 262 is the power I presume it says "262x magnification" on the box. Even a good quality scope would be hard pressed to reach 262x magnification.

Our next observing session is Monday 3rd - can you make that one? I have a very busy schedule myself so it is unlikely I would be able to get to you in the near future.

Do you have different eyepieces for the scope and which one are you using? They will have numbers on them, you wan't to use the one with the largest number (which will give the lowest magnification) first. Then try the moon.

Can you take some digital pics of the scope and post them here or send them to me at mike@orpington-astronomy.org.uk

Rocket Pooch

Hi Dominic,

Easy test, take it outside in the daytime, make sure all the lens caps are off, put an eye piece in and try to focus on something at the end of your garden etc.  if you don't have a garden go out into the street.  If you can't focus on something a long way away, take it back to ASDA.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Anonymous

Yeah i should be able to make monday the 3rd. will start getting some transport ready for that.

i have diffrent eye peices for the Scope (3) and its the same with them all. i think it would be best if you guys see for yourselfs what is wrong as its hard to explane. i think one of the mirrers is right out and looking at the Black case.

As for the pics my Digi Cam and Computer dont get along with Each other Very well and they just freze. i dont think there Compatible with each other. (Stupid windows 98se)

Well i will Bring it along on the 3rd and meet you all there. Do you have a map on your Web site of the pub or should i go straight to the observation point...

i also dont think i will Be aloud in the pub (only 17 :( )